(2 posts)
  1. Capehope

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2016 16:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I am really hoping someone can help me, as I'm going crazy over here.
    Starting about two months ago I got 3 little "bites" on my shoulder after sleeping on my couch for a few nights. Red, raised and very itchy. They went away shortly after. Then, about a month ago I noticed similar looking "bites" on my abdomen, arms and legs, again after spending a few hours on my couch between like 2am and 5am.
    I called in an exterminator who found tons of carpet beetle larvae crawling along the bottom of my couch cushions. He also found what he said was a bed bug molting/exoskeleton. I saw it but didn't think to take a picture of it because I trusted him that's what it was. Now that I've looked for myself online it may have been a carpet beetle skin cast, although it does look larger than most pictures I've seen of carpet beetles, and it was reddish brown.
    Our mattresses and box springs have covers on them and there is no sign of anything on the covers. No fecal stains, no blood, no black spots at all. When the exterminator inspected our bedroom he said he found nothing at all.
    My husband has not experienced any "bites," although he not home as much as I am so that may be a factor.
    We had the exterminator spray our entire apartment and afterward we vacuumed our couch like maniacs. We found a bunch of dead carpet beetle larvae and also yellow, dry, long shaped skins that look like they belong to carpet beetles.
    However, a few days ago I noticed two large, red, painful and itchy welt-looking things on my leg as well as multiple red, itchy spots on the bottom of one of my feet.
    What is going on here?
    Do I have bed bugs/carpet beetles/both (shudder)
    Is it possible that he found a bed bug cast and I only had one bed bug? Is it possible to have bed bugs and have both mattresses without a single trace?
    Is it possible that carpet beetles or whatever it is, is contained to just my couch?
    Also, if it is carpet beetles and they're all dead. Can their hairs still be around (even after vacuuming) and causing a reaction in me?
    Please help! I have a little infant at home and we're moving this month. I need to protect my baby and I don't want to take any bugs to our new apartment.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 6 2016 1:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Do I have bed bugs/carpet beetles/both (shudder)
    Is it possible that he found a bed bug cast and I only had one bed bug? Is it possible to have bed bugs and have both mattresses without a single trace?
    Is it possible that carpet beetles or whatever it is, is contained to just my couch?
    Also, if it is carpet beetles and they're all dead. Can their hairs still be around (even after vacuuming) and causing a reaction in me?

All of these sound like possibilities. It may just be a carpet beetle issue. Bed bug monitors (passive or interceptor) may help you rule out bed bugs. (Bed bug monitors FAQ.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto