Can't stand it anymore!

(4 posts)
  1. SickofBBs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2015 16:12:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband & I are living in a cheap motel & I am getting eaten alive by bed bugs (my arms are covered in bites)!! Best way to stop itching?? I've been using the dogs slicker brush to scratch the bites, it calms them better than scratching with my nails. Most anti-itch creams don't work!! We've sprinkled diatomaceous earth dust on the floor under the bed, between the mattress & box spring, around the floor boards & in any cracks & crevices we can find. The problem is that we also have 3 dogs so I don't want to overdo it & cause them to become sick. The motel owner is CHEAP & WON'T hire an exterminator. All she did was come in & spray alcohol somewhere when we weren't in one day! My arms are just covered in bites!! I've asked my husband to pull the bed away from the walls & tomorrow we are going to try to get the room as hot as possible in the hopes that it will kill the little f*#$^*%!! I don't want to spend anymore of MY money when it should be the owner's responsibility, not mine! The local health dept doesn't do anything with weekly rentals so unless I formally complain (she'll know who reported her & kick us out) they won't do anything!! We are looking for another place to live, but not having much luck!! Any other ideas on how I can stop getting bit?!?!

2. Cocktailorange

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2015 18:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you heard of or tried Neem oil? It apparently works quite well as a deterrent.

It's actually poisonous to the bugs, which they are aware of, so they stay away from it.

Its properties break down quite quickly so it isn't very effective as an actual poison but applied before bedtime it should get you through the night.

Neem Oil repellent

Good luck

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2015 9:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. I don't know how effective neem is as a repellent, as the other poster suggests.

Other repellents don't work well.

Isolating the bed, if done thoroughly, can work to keep you from being bitten at night, but bed bugs will then bite in the daytime. Here's a FAQ which explains how to isolate: http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/how-do-i-stop-bed-bug-bites-in-bed-and-protect-the-bed/
    The important thing is to get bed bugs off the entire bed and frame, and then isolate the legs in one of several ways. As the FAQ states it's controversial-- but in your case, where you're not getting treatment and the owner doesn't care, I would not hesitate.

I hope you're in a better situation soon. Before you move, check in here about how to decon your stuff, which can carry bed bugs to the new location. We may be able to help with suggestions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2015 14:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

God, this just sounds awful. Can you call the health department on the motel? Another temporary solution that's not much fun--but it's what me and my husband did when we lived in an apartment that had a BB problem and couldn't get out of our lease--you go down to the hardware store, buy one of those 8-9 ft foldout tables with metal legs. Sleep on that with some kind of insect interceptor under the legs.

Calamine was the only thing that kind of worked for me.

It's not comfortable (even with several yoga mats and a pad). But it was the only way I stopped getting bites and got a little peace of mind until we could get out of that POS apartment building.

Are there any other motels you guys could move to (just be careful not to bring the BBs with you)?

Just remember that you will get past this. It will end and be a distant memory eventually.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1