Can't see em' but they're biting

(11 posts)
  1. Paranoidbug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 20 2018 22:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

So we've had bed bugs for a few months now, they disappear and then reappear. We thought we got rid of them until now, I just got 2 bites on my leg. We've seen them before but we can't see nothing now. We have a mattress cover. I've searched all over and still can't find anything. We don't have the money to hire an exterminator, I was wondering if there was a inexpensive way to get rid of these bugs? We've de-cluttered, thrown things out (which I know was unnecessary but I got way too paranoid) And we've even done laundry and left all bedding and clothes on high heat for an hour.

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 21 2018 10:13:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the FAQ about building your own passive monitor.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. hearty

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 21 2018 15:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paranoid, deepest sympathies. I am no professional but I have experienced same and am currently hopefully at tail end of it. My personal suggestion is , after concluding that the bites are indeed still bed bugs, to research professional exterminators for experience, success, expense and especially warranty. The longer the warranty the better, I've seen 6 months highest. Best would be heat treatment with follow up residual/ product treatment. Never JUST heat treatment. OR: only chemical treatment with follow ups until it stops. The PCO needs to be your new best friend.
    I understand you don't have the funds, but this might be worth fundraising for or use of credit card.
    Otherwise the expense of time consumed with no success costs a lot as well, I wish I had done this immediately and not wasted time and money doing it myself.

All the nicknacks that I bought like climb ups/ monitors were useless in my case. One inexpensive way you asked about might be DE or Cimexa dust for Do It Yourself (dangerous and messy though, use with caution and knowledge) but ultimately nothing helped me to eradicate fully, (and I did EVERYTHING, using both dusts.) However those two dusts HAVE helped many others to do so.

Best of luck and wishing that the new bites are something else.

Hearty

4. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 11:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in the same situation. I have seen the bedbugs so I did have them but I havent seen a bug in 3 months. I was self treating with temprid..and cimexa. I used bedlam plus twice. I bought a steamer. I have climbups on my bed and they are not catching anything. I dont really even see signs of them. Once in a while i see what looks like a couple drops of blood on the sheets. But Im not positive thats what it is because it is rare and random. But we still have what looks like bite marks. I dont see feces or anything. I am getting frustrated. And why arent the clumbups catching anything? I have one brand new bed with climbups that dont catch anything and they arent in the bed either. I cant afford an exterminator.

5. buckfedfugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 0:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

DE food grade is your friend. Read up on precations. Things can climb up walls and drop down onto you from above! Painter tape walls and slather with petroleum jelly

Work in a group home, have delt with these nightmares for years.
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 8:06:01
    #

Login to Send PM

buckfedfugs - 7 hours ago  » 
    DE food grade is your friend. Read up on precations. Things can climb up walls and drop down onto you from above! Painter tape walls and slather with petroleum jelly

Don't make a mess using petroleum jelly. Use different monitoring devices to capture bed bugs. Cimexa dust works faster than DE and has no crystalline component, so it's safer. Sometimes skin lesions are not always from bed bugs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. buckfedfugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 11:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

A layer of petroleum jelly applied onto painters tape is not messy, use the wider tape if needed. It will keep the bugs from climbing up the walls, not necessarily to trap them, but they will stick a little leg or feeler in it and go the other way. Surround you closet with the tape and jelly, put a thick line of dust on the ground across the opening, and you won't have to live out of trash bags any more. Cinema is made from ground up sand/glass and a respirator/mask should be worn when applying.

Non professional but have actually had bed bugs and beaten them using methods advised above, among others.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 12:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

buckfedfugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    A layer of petroleum jelly applied onto painters tape is not messy, use the wider tape if needed. It will keep the bugs from climbing up the walls, not necessarily to trap them, but they will stick a little leg or feeler in it and go the other way. Surround you closet with the tape and jelly, put a thick line of dust on the ground across the opening, and you won't have to live out of trash bags any more. Cinema is made from ground up sand/glass and a respirator/mask should be worn when applying.
    Non professional but have actually had bed bugs and beaten them using methods advised above, among others.

I understand the painters tape/petroleum jelly concept. I don't recommend petroleum jelly. It's messy especially if people inadvertently brush up against it. It's better to use folded cloth, folded up paper towels, 1/2 inch fan-folded paper-- something that bed bugs will crawl into using them as harborage. You have to examine these. Climb-up monitors also work very well. Cinema? Cimexa, maybe? Not ground glass, but is composed of amorphous silica.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 14:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

A thick line is way too much. A light dusting is all that's needed.
    I've never found "wall climbing" to be so much an issue as to use petroleum jelly.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 18:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

And why arent the clumbups catching anything?

Assuming you do have bed bugs, they could be harboring in/on the bed (mattress, box spring, frame) and have no reason to leave the bed, so nothing in the climb ups.
    I have one brand new bed with climbups that dont catch anything and they arent in the bed either.

How do you know this for sure?

11. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 15 2018 0:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 week ago  » 

And why arent the clumbups catching anything?

Assuming you do have bed bugs, they could be harboring in/on the bed (mattress, box spring, frame) and have no reason to leave the bed, so nothing in the climb ups.
    I have one brand new bed with climbups that dont catch anything and they arent in the bed either.

How do you know this for sure?

Because the bed and frame was brand new. Its just a cheap metal frame with no headboard and the mattress is one of those memory foam ones that come in a box. I did set up another bed and have mattress covers on it and i have inspected it a couple times and cant find a bug. It is possible maybe a couple could be hiding in the headboard but wouldnt i start seeing more evidence eventually if they mate? I understand they are good hiders but i use to see a bug here and there but now i cant seem to find one stupid bug. And i have heard about them possibly dropping from the ceiling but wouldnt they climb back down and eventually get stuck in a climbup? And i dont understand how they would be that smart to drop from the ceiling if i havent even caught bugs in the climbups? It just seems that these stupid bugs are intelligent. Im just getting frustrated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991