Can't figure out what is biting

(3 posts)
  1. HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Dec 19 2018 1:15:52
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a guest stay at our condo on a futon in our office/second bedroom right after Thanksgiving. He noticed some bites on his arm, chin, etc. on Saturday the 1st. The only reason we were suspicious is that we knew he had bedbugs at his apartment a year ago. He did have a dog go through his apartment and declare it free but I don't know how good a job they did or if his suitcase which might have been stored in an attic contained anything. He also left his suitcase in storage at a hotel for a day.

Given his history to head off any problems we decided to hire a dog (though we thought this might be going at little crazy) to try to detect if his bites were caused by bedbugs. The dog came to inspect on 12/7 and didn't find anything. We thought it was just potentially some random bite from something and we were in the clear.

On Wednesday 12/12 I was taking a nap in our bedroom (it was dark with the curtains pulled) and woke up with multiple bites on one foot and one on my thigh. They were pretty itchy. I can't guarantee the bites happened that afternoon but I at least notice them then. Images of the bites are at the following links. I did scratch them.

https://imgur.com/jjKSnFE
    https://imgur.com/HyufHIu

My girlfriend then got two bites on her behind that she noticed on Saturday 12/15. Yesterday I installed some climbup style bed leg interceptors and dusted around the bed frame, furniture, and wall edges in our bedroom with Cimexa. So far I haven't found bedbugs, carcasses/shells, etc.

I am a little perplexed with identifying what has been biting us. We are travelling extensively for the next 2 1/2 weeks and I don't want to spread things.

Any recommendations what to do next? The dog coming back negative and the lack of any other sightings is making it difficult to set a course of action.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Dec 19 2018 5:41:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The skin reactions are not in typical locations for bed bugs which is more indicative than their appearance.

I am not a fan of K9 based detection without extensive verification of the dog and handlers abilities and even then I like to see a confirming hide if the location is negative.

The probability of you spreading an issue you cant detect is minimal and the reality is that as its not an onboard pest taking it elsewhere becomes statistically improbably if you check your luggage and pack sensibly.

I would be looking to use a plug in flea trap rather than what you have done.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Dec 20 2018 12:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually got bit again last night. There appears to be three bite locations. They are fairly itchy.

https://imgur.com/a/deplVLv

I also setup two homemade flea traps using the light and water basin with detergent method. So far nothing has shown up in them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,729 posts in 49,537 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie