Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Canine inspection is it yes, no , maybe????

(8 posts)
  1. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a canine inspection a few weeks ago. We had already "inspected" all that we could ourselves and had seen absolutely nothing...but the bites weren't stopping. I was going nuts so I researched companies and had one come out to do the inspection.
    I met the handler and his dog and then they went to work. I followed along and watched as my stomach did sumersaults. When we went to the master bedroom, where I had first seen bites (at my home, I had bites at hotel week before) NOTHING, when we went into the guest bedroom (where I had moved after a week of sleepless nights) he alerted by scratching lightly at the right side, near the head of the bed. I gasped and muttered, "I knew it" and the handler told me "nothings positive yet, he's interested but we need to look."
    The handler had him check the rest of the room, nothing. He then had him check downstairs in our "den" area...nothing again. He put the dog back in his cage to rest and did a visual search in both bedrooms, he found LOTS and LOTS of carpet beetles but no bedbugs, no castings, no fecal stains, nothing. He then had the dog come back out and walked around the bedrooms again, again the dog was mildly interested near the head of the bed but once on top of mattress, nothing.
    The handler seemed discouraged and said he didn't believe we had bedbugs, that the response wasn't what it is with a definitive positive. When he could tell I was disappointed (yes, I was disappointed, I wanted an answer, we could treat for bedbugs if that's not what it is what the heck now????) he asked if I wanted to see how the dog reacted to an actual bedbug. I said yes, I was almost sick with nervousness, my palms were damp, and then he did it, he produced from somewhere, a small vile complete with a live little black bugger from hell...I shivered with the revulsion and excitement, I wanted to see him react.
    He put the dog in another room, came down into the "den" which was previously "clean" and hid the vile underneath a cushion of my overstuffed chair. He went to retrieve the the dog and had him come down stairs, the dog sniffed around, really no interest and then went NUTS on the chair, the handler could barely pull him off. The dog was downright ecstatic...thrilled...proud...of his find. The handler explained that it was a correct positive response.
    He explained that the carpet beetles can cause bite like responses and even severe allergic reactions and mentioned the posibilities of the rat mites I had asked about earlier.
    I couldn't decide how I felt...
    Things got better for a few weeks, I put an encasement on the guest bed, cleared clutter, dusted, scrubbed, and NO bites for a week or a little more, then there was one, nothing, two, nothing, another..now in the last 2 nights I've gotten 37 "bites" all around my torso, and between my thighs, around my hips and my waist, and innumerable teeny, tiny bumps around my neck and chest. I have the creepy crawly feeling and can't sleep, I'm on edge, grumpy and scared.
    Now here's the bad part; I've checked the bed, most of my clothing, bedding, fabric goods are still tied up in plastic bags, my floors have been steamed...BUT...I have 4 big dogs my house is constantly dusty and I never removed the storage bins from under the beds and they were covered in dust and carpet beetle casings (cast off skins.)

So my big question, has anyone had a canine inspection with a similar outcome? Do I trust that the dog was only mildy interested?

I'm a mess again. I thought I had it beat and now this am I destined to have bedbugs? Is it more likely that it's a false negative or false positive?

2. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I need a DougSummers or KillerQueen in Los Angeles...I'm going nuts over here!!

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Neither... Trust the handlers interpretation of the K9's indication... The handler followed the proper procedure here and performed a visual... Trust the physical evidence for now and look into whether your bites are a reaction to Carpet Beetles.

You can place BB Alert Passive monitors in the areas of interest for long term surveillance to provide some peace of mind... continue to be vigilant for visual signs of a concurrent bed bug infestation.

37 bed bug bites in a short period of time will leave physical evidence like fecal traces, cast skins and live bed bugs that can be located with a thorough visual search... K9s are not 100%... but that many "bites" in a short period of time would suggest an established colony... Try to avoid being tunnel visioned on bed bugs... You have identified a possible source of the skin reactions that makes sense.

This scenario is one of the reasons that handlers are trained to perform the search without the client in the room... Trust the handler to recognize the difference between interest and a proper alert from his K9.

David Cain has information on his website that you will find useful about reactions to Carpet Beetles that should be helpful.

4. Lumina

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, buggyboola!

I'm another newbie here, and I think I'm in a similar position as you -- thought it was bedbugs at first, but have seen no signs of the bugs other than bites, but have seen carpet beetles, so maybe that's more likely than bedbugs. It would be nice to have something PROVE there are no bedbugs, but it's hard to prove a negative, particularly with sneaky little bedbugs!

That said ... "I never removed the storage bins from under the beds and they were covered in dust and carpet beetle casings (cast off skins.) "

I think that the first thing you want to do is clean off those storage bins (preferably away from your beds -- if you can do it outside, that would probably be best, to minimize the amount of hairs being dispersed in your home) and see what happens. To me, it sounds like maybe the incidents (I'll call them that instead of bites <G>) abated when you first cleaned up, but then as more little hairs from the larvae detatched and floated around, the incidents occurred again.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:55:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggyboola,

In LA... Check out RTC... Round the Clock Pest Control... Robert is a highly experienced PCO / K9 handler that you can trust to screen your residence and solve your problem.

Send me a PM if I can provide any assistance... Rob's rates are much cheaper than flying KQ or me into LA.

I am a... "Have Dog... Will Travel" kind of guy... but I think you will be in happy with Rob at RTC .. if you need a second opinion

Good luck

6. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS-
    Thanks for your input. I'm impressed with how much time you donate (and that's what you are doing, giving of your expertise and knowledge...really quite invaluable) on this forum, talk about Goodwill to men! (and women...haha..that's me) It's such a scary time, people like you make a big difference in people's lives and strangers at that.
    Thank you.

7. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 23:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Lumina-

I'll be doing just that..cleaning those dang things, well actually having my fiance do it, he has no reaction whatsoever to whatever it is that's torturing me, so he's offered to clean them up tomorrow, and do an initial sweep, vacuum, mop of the whole room again and then I'm going in to steam clean
    One good thing the BB scare did was to push us to finish a project that we had started years ago. Years ago we started to re-do our master bedroom pulled up all the baseboards, primed the walls, put in new windows and a sliding glass door and then STOPPED ;/
    and it's a really old house so sometimes if I look close enough around the floor line, I can see through to the outside of the house..eww gross!! Imagine all the mites and spiders that have found their way into my home.
    So we will be finishing that room up immediately, sealing up the place.
    I'm not unbagging anything until I can go a month without bites.
    I know there's a problem with the carpet beetles and I know how/when they got here (I had a big garage sale begining of summer and brought all sortsof bags and boxes in from the shed to price and sell, and then left it in the front room for a few weeks until a second garage sale at a friends house, by the time I took it out I'm sure plenty of those little buggers had crawled into my house and into my life. I used to think the dead ones and castings were little pinecone like things from plants..never thought of where they came from..hahaha..oh to be so niave again.
    Explains the tiny holes I was finding in my sweaters and things...thinking I had moths...never to see a flutter.
    I wish you luck with your situation, I hope it turns out you do NOT have BBs, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good thoughts and wishes too!!
    Oh and I love the "incidents" instead of bites...sounds much better

Sleep tight..don't let the little buggers bite!!

8. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 23:20:55
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS-
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll keep it handy, we'll see where I end up in a few days (after my final cleanings.)
    I didn't mean to shed a bad light on my experience with the PCO that sent the canine team, they were really quite nice and I felt that they cared about my situation. I think I just wanted to hear that what happened seems legit, that a slight interest doesn't mean I have Bbs and that it's a partnership, dog and handler.
    You have at least given me hope.
    I'm not afraid to admit I'm going crazy with the whole situation and am desperately searching for answers. Logically I understand how difficult it would be to "confirm" the non-existance of something but that logic isn't beating out my want or desire to just have this whole thing come to an end...someway, anyway
    Thank you again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,774 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01