Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can you use the refrigerator to kill them?

(5 posts)
  1. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 9 2010 18:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I've read that the eggs cannot survive under 55 degrees or over 98 degrees, but I can't find out how cold it has to be to kill nymphs and adults.

My question is this- if I place shoes, or vinyl records, or photographs, or other hard-to-decontaminate items in a large ziploc and place them in the refrigerator for a couple of days, will it kill all the bugs?

I am planning on moving and I am mainly concerned with decontaminating every item that I remove from the house.

2. theJ

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 9 2010 18:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally placed a large adult in a cooler outside. It was there for about 2 days at sub 32F. When i took it back inside to see if it had survived, it started walking around about 2 hours after it warmed up.

Here's a link from the forum here i found real quick: http://bedbugger.com/2007/08/04/faq-leaving-stuff-out-to-freeze-walk-in-freezers-etc-how-cold-and-how-long/

Other FAQ's: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/faqs-about-bed-bugs-for-bedbugger-forum-users

3. Adele

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 9 2010 18:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat is a much more effective killer than cold. If you can, try to invest in a Packtite - you can use it for most of your smaller belongings like for books,shoes, papers knicknacks, etc. basically anything that can withstand low to moderate heat

the photos and vinyl records may have to be fumigated with vikane - or you could try a DDVP strip but I don't know if the chemical in the DDVP would have a corrosive effect on the items.

Spideyjg or jeff white - both of whom are on this forum - are good resources to ask about DDVP usage with vinyl records and photos

reach out to them and ask

4. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 9 2010 18:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for your advice. I though it was probably not going to work, or everyone would do it. I can't really afford a packtite- I have to move out of my apartment as soon as possible. My landlord isn't going to have a PCO treat it at all- he found one to come in and tell us we didn't have bedbugs (I saw one but couldn't save the corpse).

The info about eggs dieing under 55 degrees or over 98 degrees comes from Pestec's website. They are a a PCO in the San Francisco bay area. I will research the vikane option.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 9 2010 18:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

florida st - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, I've read that the eggs cannot survive under 55 degrees or over 98 degrees, but I can't find out how cold it has to be to kill nymphs and adults.

Not quite. Those temps are where development stops, not death. Death begins at 113 and becomes instantaneous above 122. I like a cushion of 140 better though.

Ambient cold is realistically useless as a killer.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula