Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can you use DDVP/Nuvan in your car with stuff in it?

(6 posts)
  1. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 18 2010 10:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, this is what I want to do- I have a lot of stuff like records, lamps, shoes, etc. that I want to be sure of. Is it feasible to place items in the trunk of the car with a Nuvan strip in order to
    "decontaminate" them? It wouldn't be airtight like a garbage bag, of course, but since it's a car there's no where for them to run and hide. Would this work?

Also, is it overkill? I've only ever seen one bedbug in my apartment, and a PCO has come twice to look at the house and detected absolutely no signs of bedbugs. (I had been getting bit about once every 6 weeks for 7 months or so until I found it). Does this mean there probably aren't any (we did clean very thoroughly before he came) or does this mean they are probably harboring in more unusual places (books, records, shoes, etc) ?

I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

2. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 18 2010 13:28:45
    #

Login to Send PM

hi florida

can i ask why not put the ddvp strips in garbage bags? i have no idea if it would or wouldn't successfully treat stuff in a car trunk - on the one hand, small enclosed space =i would think so, but i don't know how airtight a trunk is, how much air space/circulation around your stuff there would be, whether the bugs or ddvp vapors could get from your trunk to other parts of your car, etc.
    so, i'd go with bags were i you. reasonably airtight if sealed correctly, also nowhere to run for the bugs, and its allowable on the label for treatment.
    for those who know me, it may seem hypocritical of me to be saying staying "on label" is important - but seriously, given your situation is exactly the situation appropriate to label approved bag treatment (in that, you have stuff that fits in bags) i would go with that. why the hesitation to use bags?

either way, best of luck with it. as for overkill, i'm of the mind that its better to be paranoid than take a chance. bag treatment is relatively inexpensive and pretty quick and easy compared to some others. but obviously, only you know your own risk tolerance and what is or isn't too much of a pain in the butt to do for bug security.
    i can't remember, are you moving? if you are -i would definitely try to decontaminate all my belongings before taking them to a new place.

3. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 18 2010 13:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not that I have an objection to the bags. I will be using nuvan strips in the trunk of my car anyway, because I had a lot of clothes in my trunk, and my roommate borrowed my car to move a lot of dirty (and potentially infested) laundry. So I figured that as long as I'm Nuvan-ing the trunk, I might as well stick a couple of hard-to-clean items in it.

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 4:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you drive the car? How many hours a day do you spend in your car?

Contact the manufacturer of the strips for guidance, There is usually a toll free number on the package for questions.

Treating a vehicle as a preventive measure with chemicals is not considered a sound practice.... We are talking about a small enclosed frequently occupied space... where you will be repeatedly exposed to high concentrations, if you are using the vehicle when the DDVP strip in the trunk

5. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 22:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, thanks for the input. I am treating my car because I had a lot of possibly infested clothes in the trunk, and my roommate used it several times to move dirty laundry that might have been harboring bugs or eggs. Also, I am moving out and will be using my car to move all of my stuff- I don't want to risk re-contaminating.
    I spend about 20-30 minutes a day in my car, tops. I figure with the windows rolled down, it's probably less risky than having several trash bags of stuff with nuvan strips in my house. My plan was to dust the interior of the car with DE (just on the floor) so that if any escaped from the trunk into the rest of the car, they'd eventually be killed.

6. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 21 2010 19:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

hey florida st.
    if your trunk is not reasonably airtight, its not going to be effective. how about sealing nuvan and stuff in bags and THEN keeping them in your trunk if you're worried about fumes escaping bags into your apartment? there would never be enough fumes escaping from sealed bags into your car to hurt you, but you will have a reasonable shot of killing whatever bed bugs might be in the bags.
    and if you just nuvan the car, but keep all the windows down for 20 minutes, etc, then you're letting out the vapors every day, so again, not so effective because the vapors won't have time to build up and kill the bed bugs. ddvp is a fumigant. it has no residual. the bed bugs have to breathe in a concentrated dose for a period of time for it to kill them.

so, to clean your trunk - another option is to get your car "interior detailed" instead - they use powerful vacuums EVERYWHERE, with detailing tools to get into every nook and cranny. and they steam clean the carpet and upholstery. that is actually much more likely to nip any potential problem in the bud than ddvp with you using the car (and thus opening and closing the doors, windows etc and letting vapors out) . then dust with de if you want -but the detailing should probably be enough. a couple of us on the board got our cars interior detailed to treat them -its not even horribly expensive.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies