Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can you spray shoes with alcohol? How do you spray alcohol?

(4 posts)
  1. worrywart1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 18:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. It's all new to me. Can you spray shoes with the 91% alcohol, would that be effective, and how do you spray the alcohol, anyway? Can you buy it in a sprayer?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 19:07:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I purchased an inexpensive spray bottle at Target to use to spray the 91% alcohol.

I also sprayed several pairs of shoes with it.

I would, however, always test the 91% isopropyl alcohol on an unobtrusive part of the shoes first. The alcohol can melt some plastic and plastic-like items.

(For example, I got a little too crazy with the alcohol before the PCO came. I sprayed one phone handset, and it did not go well. It made the inside of my leather travel folio all tacky and sticky.)

I don't think any of us could tell you exactly what it would do to which pairs of shoes.

A good trick for shoes is to run them through a packtite or a dryer to make sure they're bed bug free, and then only wear them *outside* your home. When you return home, take them off in the hall (assuming you trust the hall to be bed bug free) and place them in a ziplock until you leave again.

I had one pair of flip flops and an old pair of sneakers (that I didn't mind washing and drying the daylights out of) that I wore in the house during the infestation , and kept a few pairs of work shoes in bags inside when I wasn't wearing them outside until I knew the apartment was clear.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 19:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Alcohol may ruin your leather and/or finish. Murphy is a lot gentler, a good cleaner for leather, in general.
    Alcohol and Murphy will only kill the bugs it contacts, not ones that hatch or come out of hiding later.
    If you put shoes in a dryer, wrap them in a cloth bag or pillowcase, or you'll get marks all over your dryer interior.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 19:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add--the shoes I sprayed with it were all sneakers or flip flops--none of which were leather. Since my infestation happened in the summer, and I don't have a job with anything resembling a dress code, I didn't wear any of my leather shoes to work during that time. I let thermal make sure the shoes were bed bug free and then resumed wearing them in the fall.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,811 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen