Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can you sleep with bedbugs and not become infested?

(3 posts)
  1. felix1

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 30 2013 22:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night I was ushered into the bedbug community.

I was staying in an apartment I had gotten through a peer-to-peer property rental website. The apartment turns out to have a bed bug problem. While lying in bed, I smashed a bug that had just fed on me. (As I was falling asleep, I felt its tickling feet.) There is no doubt that this was a bed bug; my host confirmed there had been a problem some months back. Evidently the exterminator's visit hadn't completely solved it.

When I had identified the bug using the Internet (it looked just like the pictures), I got dressed and went around the corner to a motel. I never had put my luggage on the bed; it was all on a wood floor in the living room. When I got back home, I put all my clothes and books and the luggage itself in garbage bags and sealed them. I will wash everything on high or dry clean it.

Is there any chance I have headed off this problem? When can I let down my guard?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 1 2013 2:44:12
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible you did not bring them home, but take all steps you can to kill them in your stuff just in case. FAQS on killing bed bugs in your stuff.

Used with care, DDVP in sealed (airtight) bags may be an option for treating the luggage (see the section on DDVP in Useful Tools).

The hot dryer will work well for clean clothing, or wash/dry on hot for dirty clothing.

It can take some time to discover whether you brought bed bugs in, so consider implementing a monitoring system and know the signs of bed bugs and how to search for them. The FAQs cover all this but let us know if you need to be pointed to the right ones. Hopefully the monitors will come up clean and this will all be an unplanned "learning experience", but even if you're currently clear of bed bugs, monitoring is never a bad idea.

If travel or exposure is a concern going forward, Packtites are very helpful to have around for treating luggage, clothing and anything else (esp. items which can't go in hot dryers). The travel FAQs may help also with learning how to inspect a hotel room (/peer-to-peer B&B rental).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. felix1

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 1 2013 14:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I appreciate all this advice!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie