Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Can You Put This Folding Bed Frame In A Packtite Closet? Thoughts? Opinions?

(12 posts)
  1. The Bitten One

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 14:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Hoping someone has a thought as to whether this seems workable…

I’m moving in a little while from an apartment that has been cleared of an infestation and am wondering about a new metal bed frame that I’m considering for purchase. Since my nerves are still on very high alert and since the building I’m moving into did have bedbugs in the past….

Does anyone see any reason why I couldn’t place a “folding” metal twin bed frame into a Packtite Closet for decontamination if necessary? (The folded frame dimensions seem small enough to fit inside the Packtite Closet and the frame would be used with a new air mattress.)

It would probably be this frame (although there is one by the same manufacturer that folds up even smaller):

http://www.amazon.com/Pragma-Bed-Simple-Bi-Fold-Frame/dp/B00F2EVLCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417907481&sr=8-2&keywords=fold+twin+bed+frame

Thanks So Very Much to anyone with any thoughts or opinions….. I’m trying Hard to move safely and follow best practices when in the new apartment.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 15:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

You would need the exact dimensions of the folded item and then -- assuming the Packtite website does not specify the internal space available? (maybe you've checked?) -- David James might be willing to weigh in here on whether it would fit in the Closet.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. The Bitten One

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 17:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! (And Thank You So Much for This Website!)

I’ve spoken with the bed manufacturer and the dimensions of the folded frames are:

Bi-Folded Metal Twin Frame - 39 x 38 X 3
    Quad-Folded Metal Twin Frame - 39 x 19 x 5

The Packtite Closet “Usable Space” When “Filled With Hot Air” is Up To: 40W x 30L x 36H.

I have not checked with David James yet, however in an older post (http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/packtite-closet-heater-bag) he does state that you can “take out the rack and just let the unit inflate around larger objects to be treated.”

He’s also posted a video: “Packtite Closet Oversized Object Treatment” (

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

Assuming that one of the bed frames fit, which it should, does this seem Feasible for decontamination if necessary? (I would also caulk holes in the frame where I could using “High Heat” Silicone Caulk.)

Anyone with thoughts or ideas?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 23:47:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the first object is 8 inches longer than the length of the internal space. I am not sure if that would work even without the frame. I will alert David James to this question.

5. The Bitten One

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 4:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

Thank you for responding and offering to alert David James to my questions!

I thought the Bi-Fold Bed Frame would fit into the Packtite Closet sideways and since it’s so thin when folded (3 inches thick) that I could lean the frame against the back wall of the Packtite, thus saving headroom above.

The Quad-Fold Bed Frame (which would probably be an easier fit) has more moveable parts and so I wouldn’t be able to caulk as many areas as the Bi-Fold that simply folds in half. It also requires the removal of a few nuts and bolts before the frame can be closed up.

Although this isn’t a perfect (nor permanent) new Bed Frame solution, the thought of being able to Packtite my frame for decontamination if necessary will go a long way toward easing my mind concerning my coming move.

Thank you so much once again!

Bi-Fold Bed Frame: http://www.amazon.com/Pragma-Bed-Simple-Bi-Fold-Frame/dp/B00F2EVLCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417907481&sr=8-2&keywords=fold+twin+bed+frame

Quad-Fold Bed Frame: http://www.amazon.com/Pragma-Bed-Simple-Quad-Fold-Frame/dp/B00F2EVSIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417978456&sr=8-1&keywords=fold+twin+bed+frame

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 19 2015 15:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

( I came across this older post, and thought my answer might be useful to someone even if
    the OP is still not around)
    ----------------------------

If memory serves me, I fit a folding army-style cot (tri-fold, 6 legs) into a Packtite. It was the original Packtite, so I am sure there would be no problem fitting some folding bed/cot into the newer, bigger Packtite Closet model.

I did this as part of a monitoring project. Because I could not isolate my platform bed, the idea was to start with a 100% bed bug free bed (cot) and then install Climb Up Interceptors under the legs.

Slept in it for a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Never caught anything and it was helpful convincing me that I did not have bed bugs. The cot I believe only cost around $60
    and could double as a guest bed after the monitoring project. In fact it's great guest bed, because no guest will want to stay around too long, as it is a bit spartan

(If anyone wants to try this, just make sure of course that the cot is designed with legs that can fit into a Climb Up Interceptor type device as opposed to some that use long bars to rest against the floor. )

Richard

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 19 2015 15:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It was 5 or so years ago, so can't remember all the details, but during the experiment I periodically
    baked the cot in the Packtite to make sure that no bugs could be coming from the cot into the climb ups, as in the case, if for example I inadvertently brought them into the cot (despite quite neurotic precautions) or if they parachuted in

(Memory Revise)
    Actually I think the reason I baked the cot periodically was less to see whether the bugs were coming from the bed or floor (what difference would that make) but so I would not get bitten while
    sleeping! It's all coming back now like a bad dream

8. The Bitten One

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 19 2015 17:30:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard! I'm still here.... Every Day! (Reading & Learning!)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your cot and the original Packtite. I found the two metal bed frames (listed above) and thought that being able to quickly decontaminate them if necessary would prove extremely helpful. (In numerous ways!)

The only problem I do see with the aforementioned frames is the sheer amount of caulking I'd need to do (with senior eyes) in order to seal up all holes where the wires are attached. I'm afraid I'd miss quite a few openings.....

I'd love to be able to purchase a folding cot, as you used, however, each and every one I've seen doesn't have actual legs (or feet) to place in my blackout monitors; they have rounded metal bars at each end, such as in a beach chair, and thus I wouldn't be able to isolate the bed.

If you happen to remember (or still own) the cot you bought so many years ago, I'd appreciate the name of the manufacturer so I could look them up.

Thanks so much again for offering your experience - and for all the help, advice and information you so generously offer to all of us on a daily basis! It's so very much appreciated!

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 19 2015 18:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it was one of these, but I'll look some more later for my specific model that I was happy with. Notice they all have six legs, so you will need a minimum of six ClimbUps, better to order extra because they can crack. No need to caulk anything because you can sterilize the cot any time you want in the PackTite. Like you say, this is very handy system both for detection and for relief from bites. That said, I used mine primarily for detection purposes because there is one school of thought that says not to isolate when treating, but then again, some PCO's tell you it's a good idea. Had I found bed bugs, I might have removed the ClimbUps prior to treating, but I never did find any.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=folding+six+legged+army+cot

10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 19 2015 18:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the one I got. The Slumberjack Emergency Cot. I believe I got it based not only on size, but also good reviews. Actually very sturdy. It was a snug fit in the original packtite diagnoally, but it fit. I had at least three temperature sensors in there so I know it got really baked well!

You could probably fit a couple of them in the Packtite Closet Or, a bigger cot if desired. The main thing is get one with legs that will fit into the ClimbUps.

http://www.slumberjack.com/p-577-emergency-cot.aspx?category=furniture

Richard

11. The Bitten One

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 21 2015 4:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard!

Thank you So Much for letting me know what cot you bought! I immediately looked it up.... (It seems I had been researching cots in general and not specifically six legged camping, or military style cots.)

The one thing that does make me a bit nervous about these types of cots is that without seeing the actual angles of the "crossed type" legs, I'm a little worried that one (or more) legs might actually hit the edge of the Blackout monitor.... The monitor is quite a wide circle and if indeed one of the cot legs was to hit a monitor edge, I'd be giving bugs a direct route up onto the cot. (Yes, I will be isolating my bed.... Having gone through this twice in one year, I've made that decision; I think it is best.)

What I have done however, (Thanks to you!), is start searching again - this time for folding army or camping cots with straight legs, and I think I've found one that might work.

The cot below comes in several sizes, has straight legs, very good reviews, breaks down fast (so I can get it into a Packtite Closet quickly if I need to), and rolls up very small. (They're sold on Amazon and numerous camping/rafting websites too.) It's also very light.... which is a benefit as I'm quite tiny with several back problems. They make it in either a mesh or plain fabric, and I wouldn't be using the carry bag as a pouch, which they show.

(And although the Mesh material makes me think I'd become a bedbug's dinner delight, if they do get up onto the cot, I suppose it doesn't really matter whether they bite from the bottom or top.)

(Manufacturer's Site) - Mesh Version: http://www.campspecialties.com

(Manufacturer's Site) - Fabric Version: http://www.campspecialties.com/pvcfreeroll-a-cot.htm

Anyway, just thought I'd share what I found, in case as you wrote, "the information might be useful to someone".

Thanks so much again Richard for all of your help! Hope you have a Great Weekend!

(Oh - I'm reading questions and answers about the cot at various web sites and invariably someone will ask how quickly the cot can be set up.... and I'm thinking as I read this time and again - Wrong! The question should be: How quickly can I take this cot apart? Only us, right?)

12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 21 2015 6:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Bitten,

I didn't have the issues you talked about with the legs, but I was using a different brand of interceptor so perhaps the measurements are different. In any event, I understand your concern, and the straight legged models you picked looked fine.

One thing I did run into was a couple of cracked ClimbUps. They are not exactly of sturdy construction, and the narrow nature of the cot legs made them more prone to crack, especially since in my case I was using them over a carpeted floor. To remedy the situation, I put either flat tiles or wood (can't remember) underneath each interceptor so they had a solid base to rest against. But even so, I would still order an extra couple just in case one does crack.

I think you will find this setup will do everything you want. All the best moving forward.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me