can you Pre-treat a house?

(8 posts)
  1. movingout101

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 21:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving from a place that has bed begs (minor infestation for 9 days in 1 bed only) to a place that is new.

I am doing everything possible not to bring them with, and I was not the one that had them in bed.

Still, they may get attached to something I own.

What if I went ahead to the next house and put DE along all the baseboards and under the bed? What if I sprayed EcoRadier (which leaves a residue for a week or so) before the movers got there? A PCO said that only works on-contact but I read conflicting things about that detail.

Should I unpack every box in the garage and immediately take the cardboard to the curb?

I read another moving thread in detail, but he didn't really focus on pre-treating as much as extreme vigilant cleaning before moving, which I'll do but the other people who live here are impossible to deal with when I try to explain the seriousness of this...and they are making things much worse. (Won't put clothes in hot, wear same clothes in contaminated room as other rooms with my boxes, etc...)

I am encasing all my beds and pillows in cases with 1 micron diameter microfiber, but other than that (which doesn't kill anything - just saves the bed and pillows) - what can I do?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 9:37:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're in the USA, you could pack all your belongings in a truck and have the whole deal fumigated (Vikane). That's what I'd do.

Pre-treating the new place has, in my opinion, limited benefits. You would be assuming that bed bugs (if present) would colonize the treated areas and not other areas.

I moved during an active infestation but I got rid of 99% of my belongings. It's not for everyone and I don't promote it, but it's what I decided to do in my situation (repeated infestations, clueless landlord).

3. movingout101

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 11:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I can't seem to find a vikane truck... or even anything related to "bed bug movers" . I read that advice on here earlier & googled, checked yelp, etc - but nothing showed up. I'm in the Chicago area (there was even a Chicago thread on vikane but no actual PCO / Mover name).

4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 15:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

While it’s not necessarily a ‘pretreatment’, putting a layer of DE all around the perimeter of the indoor walls could be beneficial... not only for bed bugs but any other crawling pests. And before the place is filled with furnature is prob the easiest time for that.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  5. movingout101

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 19:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks. Do you know if you just "puff" or "dust" that stuff on or if it's more beneficial to leave in a thicker border? I have a puffer, for some odd reason (a sketchy apartment from years ago) and that white bottle with the green "kills bed bugs" though that is very old. I can get any brand, preferably not from amazon since I am looking now. Lowes or HD or target are all fine - I'm gonna look online if they have any in the stores.

6. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 20:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I do believe a little puff with the duster, or an old makeup brush (like crime scene finger prints) is the best. They only need to crawl through a tiny bit. I did put it a little thicker on my windowsills though, kinda ‘filled in the cracks’ with it.

Also, I got mine from Home Depot and Lowe’s. The Safer brand from one and Harris’s food grade from the other. I didn’t have a duster so I got the plastic tub (around $7) and also a 4lb bag (around $10) and I ‘dust’ mine from the plastic container with a layer of cheesecloth under the lid. Super quick and easy application! I do it monthly, just to be sure there’s a good barrier of protection since I vacuum 3-4x a week and I don’t know how much gets sucked up each time.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 9:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Apply very, very thinly. Less is more. If they can see it, they may avoid it. Try reading the FAQs on dusts on this site.

8. movingout101

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 20:18:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I was looking on YouTube for demos and it was hard to find someone applying it. Also, the PCO who has been helping us also told me just what you said today - like a tiny puff... basically invisible.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur