Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can you DIY with Tempo dust, if so, how?

(7 posts)
  1. this2shallpass

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 13:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course, I've read the recent reports hailing Tempo dust as a super-BB-killer, and I'm wondering if it's something that my husband can maybe use, to dust the perimeters/cracks of our bedrooms and maybe puff into the outlets? I see it is available for purchase online. Good idea? Bad idea? Why or why not?

Very toxic? Need face mask when applying? Anyone used this?

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 15:16:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think a dust like Cimexa might be a better choice for the non-professional. Cimexa has gotten some very good reviews lately and is relatively low on the toxicity scale. That said, label should be followed, and proper technique's employed. One article suggested a hobby brush for home owner application versus the traditional puffer. Hobby brush is slower but apparently the non-professional can control it better. Still, seek out videos online how to apply dust, whether by puffer or brush. From what I've read, "less is more" when it comes to dust. And yes, I would think a face mask would be prudent during application. Not a pro, but hopefully a pro will chime in with their thoughts on the matter.

Richard

3. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 17:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a pro, but we did use tempo when we had our bed bug infestation in 2011, and we found it helpful. YMMV.

I can't really speak to Cimexa because it didn't come on the market until shortly after we got rid of our bed bugs. so I have no experience with it.

With all dusts, I would agree with all that Richard said about knowing how to use it, except for one thing:

Richard56 - 2 hours ago  » 
    And yes, I would think a face mask would be prudent during application.

Richard

IMO he's on the right track, but I believe you should use a respirator. The health risk with these types of application is inhalation. And dust masks just don't do the job. I'm a safety girl. That's why it drives me crazy when I see people touting DE as "totally safe".

If memory serves, there's a discussion of respirators and a link to a recommended one on the DE FAQ page.

Hope this helps!
    Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  4. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 18:14:39
    #

Login to Send PM

One more thing...

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bed bug cure-all. It's not a one shot deal. You need to take an integrated pest management approach (using multiple techniques together).

We took the DIY approach because we felt that was our best option under the circumstances at the time, but I don't recommend it to anyone. I would definitely call in a well qualified pro if it ever happens again.

If you are going to self-treat, make sure you get advice from a PRO on the forum , then follow their instructions completely.

Okay, that was like three more things...

Melanie

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 18:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

FB:

With all dusts, I would agree with all that Richard said about knowing how to use it, except for one thing:

Richard56 - 2 hours ago ยป

And yes, I would think a face mask would be prudent during application.

----------------------
    No disagreement, a respirator is a face mask. Just mirroring the OP's language. Not recommending this one, but wanted to point out that a "face mask" can be more than a "dusk mask".

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/PPE_SafetySolutions_EU/Safety/Product_Catalogue/~/3M-Full-Face-Mask-Respirator-6000-Series?N=5551860+3294361910+3294857473&rt=rud

Richard

6. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 18:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 16 minutes ago  » 

No disagreement, a respirator is a face mask. Just mirroring the OP's language. Not recommending this one, but wanted to point out that a "face mask" can be more than a "dusk mask".
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/PPE_SafetySolutions_EU/Safety/Product_Catalogue/~/3M-Full-Face-Mask-Respirator-6000-Series?N=5551860+3294361910+3294857473&rt=rud
    Richard

No disrespect intended, Richard. I know you know your stuff!

And your point is well taken.

Perhaps calling it out as a point of disagreement, rather than a point of clarification was a poor choice of words on my part. So often I see people saying use a "dust mask" (which you and the OP did not) and it worries me that people don't take enough safety precautions.

Thank you for adding further clarification. I think this helps everyone.

Kind Regards,
    Melanie

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2015 19:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

FB:

No disrespect intended, Richard.

None taken and your clarification is a good one. In fact, I just purchased ten 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirators with Valve on Amazon at a pretty good price, around ten dollars I think. That said, different chemicals and pesticides ideally require different respirators (or filters) and that information should be on the pesticide label.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie