Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Can we re-use ziplocks after putting them in the dryer?

(10 posts)
  1. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 23:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Or should we through them out. I have been throwing the clothes in the bag right into the dryer. Then I have been using them again. Let me know if this is stupid.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 23:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't understand.

Are you taking clean clothes out of a clean Ziploc and re-using that? That is ok if you are cautious. i.e. If you never allow bed bugs to get in the ziploc, and only freshly laundered items are sealed in there, and you seal it even when empty.

Are you taking dirty clothes out of a dirty ziploc? Probably not a great idea to re-use it.

Are you putting ziplocs in the dryer?!? That's how I read your subject. I don't think anyone ever did that before.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 0:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow....yes I think I am doing it right.
    I am afraid that I may spread bbs to my Mothers or boyfriends or work because I am sill having activity in my home. (even after 3 PCOs and one thermal treatment and dust) I discovered that the BB got into my boyfriends home, he didnt have an allergic reaction. We thermally treated his place too.
    So I go out with freshly dried clothes, baked shoes and them carry another set of clean clothes in a ziplock. Before coming home I change into the clean clothes and then pack the clothes I have worn all day into the ziplocks. When I get home I throw the worn clothes into the drier in the ziploc for 20 or more before removing. Now after all of that explanation I hope you understand and do you think I should just dispose of every bag?
    Also I am going out of town and staying in a hotel next week. (with an arsenal of protection) I am planning to take every item in ziplocs and then after use, containing them in ziplocs before coming home. Should I carry fresh ziplocs to contain my clothes after each change of clothe? By what you have just said it may be wise just in case? I am thinking if the clothes may be dirty with bbs or eggs it couldn't hurt to through everyting right into the drier without opening the bag up? It is all there neatly zipped when uloading. I just want to know if I should through the bag out after being in the drier. No chance of an egg outliving the drier. However I do wonder that a ziploc might not offer protection after being heated or thrown around in the drier.
    I am assured by your words that all of this activity will end, that is in normal to have some bites after dusting for several weeks I am loosing a bit of faith and sometimes feel like they may never go away...I am worried that I may have been bringing them back in without knowing it.

4. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 8:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Is sounds like you are putting dirty clothes that are in a ziplock, into the dryer? Do you take the clothes out of the ziplock before putting in the dryer? I personally took the dirty clothes out of the ziplock to put them in the dryer, closed the ziplock after emptied, and then threw it away. Ziplocks that are storing clean clothes can be reused I would assume.
    What got my attention here is that you stated that you have seen a bed bug at your boyfriends place? I would think it very important to have his home inspected professionally to ensure that he doesn't have bed bugs. You could not knowingly be reintroducing the bugs into your home when you visit him or when he comes over. Many people don't react to the bites so in return don't even know they have bed bugs. Get a qualified PCO there to inspect to ensure all is clear there.

5. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 10:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't the ziplock bags me;t? The dryer is very hot.
    Can't see it not melting.
    If it does not melt, maybe thats a good cooking method. But i think they would melt. Confused.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 10:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think you should put ziplocs in a dryer.

7. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 12:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paula
    I have had three pcos and one thermal and I have paid to have my boyfriends baked (thermally). He does not want to see me right now until there is absolutely no activity over here. We have been together for 12 years so I am hoping that we will outlive this nightmare. My son does go to his Fathers some nights so I am paying for a dog to go there. My credit card is getting higher and this is going to take me time to pay all of this off. Just had a personal inspection at my Mothers and nothing. she lives in a seniors that won't allow dogs. I was wanting to have a dog inspection here but baked bugs company told that it may be futile to do this because dogs do not determine wheter the bugs are dead or alive after treatment. So they are going to come back to do my place agin. I just don't understand why I keep getting bit. I also had my car done. I do not know if the clothes are dirty. I just am assuming that I might be bringing them out or back to the places I frequent while I still have activity.

Pray for a miracle:
    The bags don't melt. I am just worried that I may droop an egg or unseen nymph if I take the clothes out of the bag before drying.

No bugs....thanks for your advice. What is the best way to ensure that any unseen eggs or activity won't fall out as I am emptying the bags.

8. miseryinthed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 14:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Heart, I had the same worries about bugs & eggs falling off of clothing en route to the washer/dryer, too. What I do is take the bag and stick my hands as far into the dryer as possible and empty it, seal it back up while my hands are still inside the dryer, then slam the dryer door as quickly as possible, and start the cycle immediately. Same would go for a wash cycle. It's a valid concern, given that some folks have reported seeing dead bugs in the lint trap, which indicates they DO travel well-hidden in clothing.

9. miseryinthed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 14:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, if you're washing, I would let the water fill up first before emptying the bag into it (maybe try submerging the bag and empty it underwater); that way, any bugs on the clothes would go directly in the water, where they're less likely to survive or crawl out of the washer. Does anyone know for sure if they drown immediately or does it take a while? I've heard some say it's quick... i hope so.

10. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2008 2:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Misery.....Glad to know that there is someone else that worrys about every little egg dropping.
    Your advice is great. I am actualy smiling right now with the thought of ways to diminish (and I mean) detroy.... these little buggers. Drowning sounds good.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams