Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can things other than insect bites cause small red bumps?

(8 posts)
  1. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 13:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my last bed bug treatment 2 and a half weeks ago, but didn't notice anything since that looked like a bite until this morning when I found a small red bump on my bum that looks like a mosquito bite. However it is not mosquito season. Can there be things other than insect bites that cause such things to appear on the skin? I ask because I have only had a very light bed bug infestation (mainly wanderers from the apartment of a neighbour who had an incomplete treatment before he was evicted last week) and have noticed very few bites overall, but it's not the first time I have had such a bump on my bum, alongside all the other tiny bumps I usually have on my bum that clearly are pimples and not bites. So I'm wondering whether the skin conditions on my bum or something else could have caused this bump, as opposed to an insect.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 13:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The list is only limited to the amount of time you want to spend on it.
    Allergens
    Air Quality
    Humity/temperature
    Stress
    Abrasions
    Fiberglass
    Plant matter

Just a few off the top of my head.

3. SalsaVince

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 13:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The 10 year old that lives inside of me wants to giggle every time I hear "bumps on my bum" but I will suppress him for now. Unless you sleep in the buff, it is unlikely that you have would have bed bug bite on your bum. We recently had another round of debates on here of whether bed bugs only bite on exposed skin or not and while a handful of examples were mentioned making a case that it is technically possible, there is far more evidence that is rare/unlikely they would seek out a food source underneath of clothing. They almost always walk up to their prey and feed without actually stepping onto us. That would make it difficult to reach a covered bum.
    So it's more likely due to one of the causes on BD's list above.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 14:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Vince,

It takes a few years but it wears off.

The novelty of a sexy selfie also wears thin when your inbox regularly pings with pictures of spotty bottoms and rashy thighs.

David

5. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 18:10:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg you guys are killing me.lol

6. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 6 2019 5:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

As it happens I don't wear pyjamas unless it's very cold, so my bum is exposed as far as bugs go.

7. SalsaVince

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 6 2019 7:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Then I suppose it's a possibility. After experiencing bed bugs, we become hypersensitive to every little blemish and mark on our body so most times it's things that we just never noticed before but sometimes you do still get a random bite here and there towards the end of treatments. That doesn't mean you have to start over though. Keep monitoring and as long as you're not finding more live bugs, it's working. If you do, you might need another round of treatment.

8. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 6 2019 15:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts and experience. This is just an update to say that the bump that I found yesterday seems to be considerably smaller today. Bed bug bites usually last a couple of weeks or more when I get them. So if the spot completely disappears very soon, I'll have reason to believe that it wasn't a bed bug bite. If not, then I may still have a problem.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,536 posts in 48,139 topics over 149 months by 21,209 of 21,563 members. Latest: John0094, Samworriesaboutbedbugs, thebooklouse