Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can they live on the outside of Ziploc bags?

(7 posts)
  1. dbrazz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 12:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving to a new apartment at the end of the bedbug treatment. I want to make absolutely sure not to bring any bugs with me, so I'm treating everything in the Zappbugg oven or a hot dryer, then placing it in sealed XL/Jumbo Ziploc bags (I'm not bringing any furniture with me).

Is it possible for the bugs to hitch a ride on the outside of the jumbo Ziploc bags? We don't have a bad infestation, I know they don't like plastic much, and there will be other, more hospitable places for them to hang out between now and the move (couch, wall sockets), if they aren't killed by the treatment.

Will it be safe to take the sealed Ziploc bags with me? If not, what are my options?

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 12:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have reason to think the ziploc bags were exposed to bed bugs, you could visually inspect and/or wipe down them down with alcohol or other agent. Alternatively, why not just throw the bags into the ZappBug Oven with the other stuff?

Richard

3. dbrazz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 13:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your suggestion Richard.

I can't treat everything the day before I move, so I'm starting to zap it now. The sealed bags full of treated stuff will be sitting around in my apartment for 2 weeks or so. My question is whether bugs might latch onto the outside of the bags during that time?

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 13:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Not likely. But if you have the bags knotted at the top, you might check along those creases if you're that worried. I recently saw a guy use a garbage bag to encase his pillow and the bugs were nesting on the edges of the knot that he had tied.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 16:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything is possible.

Bad info they "don't like plastic".

Make a safe zone in your place that you know is 100% bug free and keep it that way till you move. Store the bagged items there.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 17:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but someone kept the treated Ziploc bags in larger garbage bags in a "safe" zone, and then put garbage bags in the moving van. The garbage bags were removed before entering the new location and placed in the recycling bin.

KQ is the expert, not me, so probably best to follow his advice. I'm just suggesting garbage bags in the safe zone or if you have concerns about the moving truck.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 17:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

db:

I can't treat everything the day before I move, so I'm starting to zap it now. The sealed bags full of treated stuff will be sitting around in my apartment for 2 weeks or so. My question is whether bugs might latch onto the outside of the bags during that time?

Like KK says, and/or double bag and discard outer bag right before move.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19