Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can they live in your hair?

(6 posts)
  1. MaryJaneDoe

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 18 2019 20:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

So they say that bedbugs can't live in your hair but I have a jar of them that I have caught on duct tape and one of them managed to wriggle loose from the tape because I dropped it on the floor (the jar is plastic). That bug was already half way smushed on the tape and then for a day it just lay on the bottom of the jar like it was dead. A day later I see the thing up and walking around the bottom of the jar, it was unable to climb up the sides from what I could see though. So I drop the jar again and I see the bug literally hanging onto a thread of duct tape for dear life, just for kicks I roll the jar on the floor again to see if it would dislodge, the thing was still there! Even after throwing it around, so I'm wondering if it can hang from a thread like that, is it not possible for them to do the same thing to hair? I am going to blow dry my hair the day that I get the treatment done just to be sure I don't re-infest myself this way if it is at all possible. I was honestly super creeped out that the bug could hold on that well, yes there was glue on the duct tape, but a thread that came out of the tape couldn't be that sticky. Ugh, so gross....

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 18 2019 21:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The thread of the tape and a hair are completely different structures at the macro level. Tape is likely to be rough whereas hair is smooth and round.

The fear of hair is more likely to be residual or eppigenetic from a previous exposure to head lice. Turns out from a insect / parasite dispersal perspective making your hosts restless is a biological advantage.

Get your hair done as a way of relaxing and sharing your stress with those in the salon but no bedbugs in hair only becomes an issue in extreme cases and cases where there is no bed / sofa to occupy and the colony lives on the persons clothes.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 18 2019 23:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree that first thing to check is for lice.
    My pco ‘s dog alerted once on the women.
    He checked her and they found one in her long hair.
    He also said the place was bigtime infested.
    i guess they dont want to go there. But if you lie on your cushion and they bite you and you move they could fall into your hair if you then go and tie your hair up before getting up . One could get caught in it. Orelse its in your coat you put on the hood and hey he lands in your hair. If hair thick and longue he might not be able let himself fall of.
    Anyhows my guess is a good brush and they d be out.
    They cannot cling like lice.
    My son had a bite on his head hes 4 years old and very thin hair.
    Maybe one single lice - that never turned into a lice infection.
    Because i treated for lice . But who knows . Would’t put it past them.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 3:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If a bed bug scent detection dog alerts on head lice there is a major issue with that’s dogs accuracy and it’s gone off target scent, that is not something “cutesy” to celebrate it’s a significant concern to anyone who wants to rely upon that dogs work.

David

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 15:12:01
    #

Login to Send PM

A dog would have no reason to alert on a louse. Lice and bed bugs don't smell alike. The dog has been trained on bed bugs, not lice. There was a major error with the dog training if it really alerted to a louse. If a bed bug was crawling on the person's hair, that's something else. Bed bugs are able to crawl on hair, but they don't cling to it like lice are able to do because the tarsal morphology is totally different and in lice it evolved to aid in grasping and holding while feeding. The feeding mechanisms are also very different.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 16:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The dog alerted to a bedbug! Sorry for confusion!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82