Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can these little bastards really cause multiple different skin reactions???

(7 posts)
  1. SS864

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 1:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The first time I was bitten by bed bugs, my bites showed up 4 days later and didn't itch. They were big and ugly, and resembled flea bites. The next set I received were terribly itchy and still resembled flea bites. Lately, I can't tell if all the bites I think I'm getting are all real, since there are so many varied responses. I still get the ugly, intensely itchy bites that resemble flea bites and take weeks to heal, but now I also get intensely itchy raised white welts which almost completely disappear without a trace in a couple hours. I also have random little punctue-looking sites which sometimes itch and are never raised or red. I also get tiny little red bumps that look like little pimples, and even some pimple looking bumps that develop a white head and can be popped?? These are all new to me since I started dealing with these bastards. I rarely ever get pimples and now my right leg is covered in bumps resembling them. Is this another trick in these assholes arsenal to further drive me out of my mind??

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 6:01:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the vague response. Yes and no. Sometimes the initial reaction can be one reaction and later on the reaction changes. It is possible that your body doesn't over react once it recognizes the foreign salivary proteins, but sometimes it can over react. This varies with people and their immune systems. Allergic response and histamine reaction can be another type of reaction. And sometimes the skin reactions and lesions can be responses to other foreign allergens or bacteria that are present or have entered scratch marks. So not all the reactions you experience have to be attributed to only bed bug bites.
    I'm sure other people can comment here about reactions they have sustained, but it should be those that are positively associated with feeding bed bugs and not just skin lesions that cause people to say it must be bed bugs.
    I've been raising bed bugs for research over the past 25 years and have had different reactions to single bites and multiple bites and often the large scale skin reaction occurred once and couldn't be duplicated.
    You can see various reactions in some of my images (and also explanations if you click on the pictures) here, and some are of bed bugs and related items: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. SS864

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 9:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response, Lou. I'm grateful for the assistance and wisdom you provide to these forums!

4. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 12:16:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I get little raised red dots.
    I never used to.
    I don't think they are direct bites but I think think they are due to bed bugs.
    It is impossible for me to tell any more if a skin thing is a new bite or an old bite acting up or some other skin thing.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 14:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 2 hours ago  » 
    I get little raised red dots.
    I never used to.
    I don't think they are direct bites but I think think they are due to bed bugs.
    It is impossible for me to tell any more if a skin thing is a new bite or an old bite acting up or some other skin thing.

All can be true. Just to be sure that it is a one-to-one association, I would make sure to find bed bug biting or at least be located in the home and not just ID an infestation or introduction based solely on skin lesions.

6. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 15:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to chime in on the skin thing because I had the same peculiar skin reactions when I realized I had a small infestation. To my knowledge I've never been bitten by a bed bug prior to my initial encounter with them in the autumn of 2016. But after that, my skin definitely never returned to the state it was in prior to my infestation.

I get small pimply bumps that erupt on my neck, behind my ears, my arms, my back and my stomach, all in similar areas that I had sustained an actual bed bug bite at one time or another, but they are distinctly different to the actual bites. The actual bites consistently burned and itched like crazy, welted up to the size of a dime to a penny, became very red in color and lasted easily for 3 to 4 weeks, whereas the pimply bumps are discovered usually by accident, don't itch much, and are the size of a headpin and mostly disappear within a few days. I know that I no longer have an active infestation, but it is certainly odd that I still experience weird skin reactions after so much time has passed. I keep waiting for my skin to return to its pre-bed bug era status, but I'm starting to think it might be my new normal, unfortunately. I just wish I knew why.

7. bitethebullet

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 16:05:00
    #

Login to Send PM

My bite reactions changed after the initial bites. When we both got bitten (my partner and I) after staying in an apartment that had hundreds of them, our bites showed up 3-5 days later and kept showing up. Our bodies were covered, he had almost 60 bites on each ankle/foot, a ton covering his stomach, hands and neck. Mine looked like mosquito bites covering my wrists and feet.

As far as I know, we stopped reacting after that because I found bed bug fecal on our sheets about 2 weeks later and didn’t have visible bites. That or he was getting bitten and I wasn’t.

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,667 posts in 48,165 topics over 149 months by 21,224 of 21,578 members. Latest: thiscantbe, Lauren140california, Postpartum and Panicking