Can someone ID this? [A: bat bug, confirmed by entomologist]

(13 posts)
  1. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 13:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

This morning my gf and I were sitting on the couch eating breakfast. I see something on the back of her shirt, so I tell her to sit still, and I grab it. It looked kind of strange, so I put it in a tissue and squeezed it to kill it, and it gushed blood. I started to feel alarmed, because the blood had to come from one of us or the cats. The bug was still alive and trying to get away, so I crushed it a bit more, and put it in a jar. I think it's mostly dead now, but the stuff sticking out the back of its abdomen is the guts I squeezed out of it. I read online about bloodsucking pests, and bed bugs come closest to describing what this thing is. I will check the bed over in a bit to check for signs, but I'm hoping it's not a bed bug We travel a LOT, and stay in hotels all summer long, and one of my co-workers had her apartment sprayed for bed bugs since she found them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/snowpupgirl/What%20is%20this/IMG_9640.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/snowpupgirl/What%20is%20this/IMG_9638.jpg

All I have to say is ick.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 13:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but it is a BB. Keep it for proof to show an exterminator but try to resist the temptation to go tearing the place apart.

You have your 100% proof in the jar so no need to find more.

BBs are best left undisturbed until the PCO is there ready to ruin their day.

Jim

3. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 13:51:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a professional but from the ones I've seen that unfortunately looks exactly like an adult bed bug but please wait for a confirmation from one of the professionals on this forum. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

4. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 13:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Today is the day I am supposed to rearrange the bedroom. Should I hold off on rearranging? Our apartment is chaos right now because I am changing around the layout of our stuff and doing end-of-summer cleaning. I was going to paint different colors in each room, and our landlord is remodeling a room right above ours (he lives right above us). He was going to remodel our storage room into a laundry and storage room, ripping out plumbing, etc, so a lot of our stuff is in boxes to keep it out of the way, or piled up in our bedroom. There is no way we can hold off on remodeling the storage room, stuff is already ripped up back there.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 17:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, SPG. As those above noted, it's a BB. We can help you get through this. What city are you in? What are local laws regarding who's responsible for treatment? In any case, with your landlord living adjacent, s/he needs to know, as well. I would determine who's respibsible to pay. I'd not let the landlord point fingers at you or anything you might have done. You've seen a bed bug. There may be (usually, there are) more. We don't know where they came from. (For all you know, your landlord has them and applied some treatment that scattered them. I'd hold off any work on your place, as you may be preempted by prep (varies by technician) and treatment. We have a great FAQ that I urge you to read. Minimize the work you do and make sure to treat yourself and your GF extra special.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 19:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

What city are you in?

Fort Collins, CO

What are local laws regarding who's responsible for treatment?

It's not specific, but overall it seems the responsibility of the landlord.

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/bspm/extension%20and%20outreach/bed%20bugs%20law.pdf

In any case, with your landlord living adjacent, s/he needs to know, as well.

Absolutely, I agree. I just wanted to verify that this was indeed most likely a BB before approaching him. I also wanted to figure out laws of responsibility before approaching him, which I have. I'm not sure if it came from us, or from them. I found a BB in my living room, and that's about all I know about where it came from so far. He's usually a pretty reasonable guy.

I just went up and talked to the landlord, and he wants me to verify it with an entomologist at the university. So Monday I will verify there.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 19:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to do anything special in the wash. You can even skip the washer if items are clean. It's the dryer where the magic happens. Not all PCOs insist that you wash everything and some want you to not disturb stuff, lest you scatter bugs and/or destroy useful evidence.

Btw, David James (DJames1921), creator of PackTite, is Fort Collins-based and should know the local scene. You might want to keep an eye out for him.

8. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 20:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to do anything special in the wash. You can even skip the washer if items are clean. It's the dryer where the magic happens.

Yeah, I figured, but since the landlord is remodeling the laundry room and kitchen of his part of the house, there is no dryer currently.

9. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 20:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, we do have bats roosting in the house, and I guess bat bugs look *VERY* similar to bed bugs. Since we don't have any bites and can't find evidence of anything bed bug related yet, we will just get a confirmation from the university entomologists. A bat bug could easily travel in on my cat, who goes outside constantly to see what is going on. He mostly catches mice, but does bring in the occasional grasshopper catch. Maybe a bat bug hitched a ride?

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 21:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Quite possible. The entomologist can determine bat or bed

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2011 0:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to get rid of the bats too regardless if this is a bed or bat bug.

Jim

12. snowpupgirl

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2011 19:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The official word from the entomologist is that it is not a bed bug, it is a bat bug. Then he asked to keep the bat bug for his collection.

This is great news for me! I informed the landlords of this, and if the bugs become a problem, he will seal up the area where the bats are nesting. Bats are nice to have around, they eat insects that otherwise take over the backyard. We've still only seen that one bug, no one has bites, so we're not concerned. Everyone is keeping an eye out though, at least until the bats migrate and the bugs seek out other hosts.

My recommendation to everyone is to get an entomologist to confirm what type of bug you find in your house if you don't find any bites on anyone, and you have bats nesting nearby.

13. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2011 19:56:53
    #

Login to Send PM

snowpupgirl - 55 minutes ago  » 
    The official word from the entomologist is that it is not a bed bug, it is a bat bug. Then he asked to keep the bat bug for his collection.
    This is great news for me! I informed the landlords of this, and if the bugs become a problem, he will seal up the area where the bats are nesting. Bats are nice to have around, they eat insects that otherwise take over the backyard. We've still only seen that one bug, no one has bites, so we're not concerned. Everyone is keeping an eye out though, at least until the bats migrate and the bugs seek out other hosts.
    My recommendation to everyone is to get an entomologist to confirm what type of bug you find in your house if you don't find any bites on anyone, and you have bats nesting nearby.

Great to hear, snowpup. As for your frequent motel stays, still be cautious!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46