Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Can I send my daughters to school tomorrow..urgent answer required

(5 posts)
  1. jennybeijing99

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 7:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I ma having the PCO come in tomorrow to treat our house for the first time. We have a serious infestiation in one room but it is surely spreading to other parts of the house though no obvious signs just yet. I am wondering if I can can send them to school or if they go they will bring bugs/eggs with them and in the school bags. They take the public transport to school. A I am feeling very tired already and its only been a week. Any answers gratefully appreciated!!

Am taking the day off work tomorrow to launder clothes and linen. What to do with clothing that says do not place in dryer???? Toss or fumigate?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 8:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You can only do as you feel comfortable with.

If they only wear clothes that are clean and fresh washed at 60 degrees centigrade or above then there is little or no risk that they will take bed bugs or eggs to school with them.

Bags and books should be hand inspected to make sure they are free from risk.

Items you cant wash or tumble should be isolated in bags and left that way till your pest controller advises you what to do with them. We all have different approaches on items and you need to follow the process that they have set out. I my case its a little easier as I have the back up of the worlds only dedicated decon facility to process items.

It MUST however be said that all items can be decontaminated for bed bugs it is just a matter of what to do and how to do it.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 9:06:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's good that you're thinking about not infesting others, 'cause if you do, you'll just get them back yourself later.

Here's the procedure, wash clothes hot and dry for a few minutes after they are dry. Clothes that aren't supposed to be washed can be laundered the way they are supposed to be then put, dry, to run in a dryer for 20 min or so, depending on how many things you put in the dryer. Stuff like leather etc. can be sealed in a bag w/ a no-pest strip.

After clothes are decontaminated store in XL Ziplocs so nothing gets in before your kids wear them. Shoes and bags can be de-contaminated on a shoe rack in the dryer or at a really low temp (160 or so) in the oven (watch closely-I did 50 min., it did ruin one pair of cheap shoes). Maybe no-pest strips could be used for shoes, too, that may be easier. But anyway, so you don't have to keep decontaminating bags, shoes and coats keep them in XXL Ziploc bags when they are in your house. Or I have a shiny metal clothes rack with Vaseline around the bottom of the legs that I hang coats on, away from bedrooms, seems pretty safe to me.

If I remember right your infestation was pretty recent, so you may be OK about it not spreading out of that room yet, but it is better to be really cautious.

This is every mother's nightmare, horrible pain in the butt, but get through it by just taking one step at a time. Best Wishes!!!

PS Make sure the PCO agrees to be very thorough, leaving powder in electrical boxes or spraying the back of the plates, getting all the paths that bugs could use to get to the bed, and any sort of possible harborages. Also, have him get any place they could spread like where people sit for long times, you don't want this to last one second longer than necessary.

PPS Because you are pretty sure where they came from, I would think about getting rid of that bed frame, it may be easier than letting them keep a base of operations where you may or may not have gotten all the crevices.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 9:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jenny:

That's good advice from David. It's important to feel comfortable with your decision.

Bedbug infestations take a long time to clear, so it's really not practical to keep kids home from school for the whole time.

We have a no playdates policy (our child can't have friends over, and can't go to friend's houses)so school is a very important part of our child's social contact.

We found our bedbugs during the summer, so it gave us sometime to get our infestation reduced, and it also gave us time to work out our strategy.

We shower our child every morning, dress in clean clothes right at the door, take the backpack and lunchpail out to the ziploc and head out the door.

In my case, I contacted our Public Health and they called and spoke with the Principal of the school and did some bedbug education with her. I am watching the BedbugRegistry for my neighbourhood, and we are not the only ones in our neighbourhood with bedbugs.

As soon as you think you can do a good protocol for containment, I think it is important to send your kids to school.

I am so sorry that this has happened to your family. With kids in the house, it adds another level of complexity and stress.

Good luck with your fight.

5. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 9:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

buginTo what an excellent post!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982