Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Can I ever live a normal life again?! Feeling overwhelmed

(17 posts)
  1. hypervigilant

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 22:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm trying really hard not to have a breakdown. This is my second time getting BBs, and I feel I can't live a normal life anymore unless there is some magic bullet that will help eradicate or control these pests efficiently.

1) I don't want to have guests over, ever. Not even a repair service guy, if I can help it.
    2) I don't want to visit anyone else's house. If I do, I will be both packtiting everything on me when I get there, and packtiting everything on me when I get back - this amounts to about 6-7 hours of baking.
    3) I feel like there are things crawling on me all the time.
    4) I freak out when strangers brush up against me on public transit or a sidewalk. I avoid especially anyone who I deem visibly high risk (tourists, particularly with backpacks or luggage, people who appear to live in shelters, and people who have visible bites or are scratching. Of course there are people who might be carrying BBs and have no visible indicators at all.)
    5) I feel like I will have to live out of ziploc bags forever, because even those supposedly "airtight" bins for pet food that I got, apparently have crevices that nymphs can theoretically get through.
    6) I don't want to sit down anywhere, not even a restaurant. If I do, I will be packtiting the crap out of my clothes and bags.
    7) I have no idea how I got reinfested - it could be anything, a neighbor, a visitor, a package, a stranger from public transit, the laundry, the movie theater, etc. etc.

Am I just being smart about precautions, or am I being insane? I'm so terrified of carrying these things like a plague, both scared of infecting others or being infected by others. I feel depressed that I might have to live this way forever in order to minimize chances of future infestations. Please, any encouraging words would help. People who haven't suffered through this act like it's no big deal, but the stress and anxiety is so overwhelming.

The only bright point I look to now is the elusive 'magic bullet' - but from what I've read, it's not promising. The government won't likely fund it. Still, I hold some hope that the developing phermone lure and fungus-based treatment will help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 22:25:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry you got bed bugs again.

It's important to remember that even though you're taking extreme precautions everywhere, you didn't get bed bugs in all those places or from all those people. You got them from one place or visitor. And the second instance may have even come from the same source as the first.

Being hyper vigilant is understandable but not necessary to avoid bed bugs and also not sufficient as you've found.

If you can figure out the source it will go a long way toward helping you avoid the issue in future. Any ideas? Attached neighbors?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. hypervigilant

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 22:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs, for the kind words. I have no idea where the source could come from, which is part of the anxiety. I'm worried now that relatives had it, or I gave it to them. To be honest, I feel sort of like I haven't been vigilant enough, which is why I got them again.

I had been BB free for 3 years, so I sort of let my guard down - I had to have my packtite recalled, so when the new one was sent back, I didn't break it out for use. I didn't packtite when I visited other's houses, or after going to the movie theater. I also allowed guests to stay over (neither of whom have experienced any bites - could be they are non-reactive, or could be they're not the source).

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 0:41:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have attached neighbors?

5. hypervigilant

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 0:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it's a three family attached to another three family.

6. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 0:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Then consider the possibility that your apartment is not the only one. My situation arose because they spread from the upstairs apartment. Neither reacted to BB bites so they didn't know. PCO got them all in one go, and no signs of them for eight months now.

(Had a recent scare with a lot of weird puncture marks all over my hands and arms, legs and abdomen, but putting two and two together made me realize the culprit for most of them was the new polyester-fleecelike blanket on my bed, possible carpet beetle hairs and loads of static electricity. I've stopped getting all those marks after I stopped sleeping with that blanket wrapped around my head and arms like I had been doing.)

I understand. It is so, so easy to panic and feel despair...

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  7. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 1:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm worried now that relatives had it, or I gave it to them.

Hi hypervigilant,
    That is very discouraging. Lightning can and does strike twice in the same place--in harsher ways than
    bedbugs, but I hear you. Cuz those nasty brown bugs really do upend your life....try not to let em.

When I had bbs. I was open about what I was going through. I worked in a church--they're not gonna fire you, it just wouldn't be Christian! Here's the point: on Mondays this sort of odd old guy- I'll call him 'Joe', Joe comes in to count the money from the weekend masses. On his way out Joe looks at me and stops. "I'm just telling you, I have bedbugs." I start asking him questions and soon come to realize that he likely has a very bad infestation and is doing nothing about it. Within a couple of days this fellow is in a hospital ER for some condition and we hear back that bbs. were falling off his clothes when he was putting on a hospital gown!

Soon after I run into his niece. She has four kids and a husband whose the super of a large building. I tell her I need to talk to her about Uncle Joe. She looks a little awkward and says "You know Joe's a little...." I interrupt- to let her know I understand her uncle, and begin telling her what's going on since I know he goes by her apartment plus her husband, being a superintendent could perhaps help him.

She's listening intently and then looks at me as if I just revealed the secrets of the universe and says "My mother couldn't understand how my grandmother could have gotten bedbugs in her house in the Poconos...........and my husbands gonna' say I knew something like this was gonna happen."

As I write this post I wonder if I'm feeding your anxiety, which of course is not my intention. Since you mentioned relatives, well, many of us have quirky relatives--my reason for posting this story.

Good Luck hypervigilant. For the record, I've never heard that lightning strikes thrice.

8. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 5:35:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi hon

Listen
    Humans grew up with these things. Our great grandparents? Bed bugs were NORMAL.

I hate the damb things, like you, but ya know what? We had them in my parents house...a few times. Wasn't fun, mind you. But in time?? THEY WENT AWAY.

Stay strong. If our ancestors survived them? So can we.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  9. hypervigilant

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 21:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

BeenBuggedMidoriBird: Thanks for your thoughts. The landlord and other tenant haven't reported any bites, so I'm worried that they're just non-reactive. They don't seem too concerned about this.

Bedbugsuptown: I sure hope this doesn't happen a third time, though I'm not counting it out. I'm just so anxious about the relatives, because now I have no idea if they had them and spread them to me, or if I had them and spread it to them, so I'm afraid to be around them as the transmission is possible both ways.

Robinsmom: Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I try to think "I beat this once, I can beat it again". The thought of it reoccurring indefinitely gives me a sense of despair, but you're right - they're just bugs, after all, and they've been around for a long time. We humans had a weird respite of 30-40 years due to DDT.

I'm being more optimistic now. I really think technological advances will give us new ways to deal with this problem, and there are measures now (albeit, mostly expensive ones) that can help get rid of them.

10. paranoid314

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 25 2015 20:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Im sorry! I am the same way. I don't want to go anywhere in fear of getting bed bugs. I don't want people over in fear of getting them/ giving them.......I don't want my kids playing in other kid's houses in case they have bugs.....I get so freaked out! And tonight, after not seeing any bugs for 100 days we found one! I want to cry.....i feel my anxiety getting out of control again.

11. Paranoid and Scared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 10:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with all of you. Today would have been 30 days free and found live one one my mom's sheets and she had a bite on her neck. I am at my wit's end. My life is passing me by and I'm missing it. Everyone who never had them says to live normal? How?

12. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 10:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there an issue with an attached unit? Or are you interacting with a local source somehow?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  13. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 14:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry for you. I can just send you some empathy.
    I too feel like my life is ruined and that I have no peaceful future.
    Things like that shouldn't exist.
    And you shouldn't have to go through this a second time. But we have to remain strong (for our kids, if you have a family).
    I hope you'll manage to eradicate them quickly.

14. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 14:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

To eradicate the bedbugs quickly (of course)

15. Paranoid and Scared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 29 2015 15:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. No, it's a large single home. My mom has a power lift chair she sleeps in as she broke her neck and they, PCO, came with a can of bedlam plus and flipped the chair and he found them in the seam. We got the chair out. It's at dump. He said they can't believe they missed them and how they survived the heat treatment, done Aug 18. He sprayed our other chair and he was confident that with chair gone should be gone. I'm not buying it. I'm afraid that they will just move to another chair. Will this ever end? What do we do? I can't take much more of this. I told them from day 1 the chair was the culprit and they kept saying no need to get rid of it. To be fair. I saw the temp monitor on the chair and it was like 130-140 but I guess not enough. This is do disheartening with the heat costing so much. I can't afford it again. My poor mom is 81 and her comfort has been just ripped from her and I feel helpless and seriously like I can end up in a hospital due to stress. My job is suffering. I can't keep doing this.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 30 2015 0:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Paranoid and Scared,
    Please get some support for yourself with the stress and anxiety of all this (counseling, for example). It can really help.

Does your mother go anywhere or have any visitors? For example, does she have a visiting nurse or does she go out on a bus anywhere? Sometimes it can be the case that bed bugs are being brought in and it's worth ruling out.

I hope things are better soon and that the company that did the heat treatment fixes this problem for you.

Also a gentle reminder to start a new thread next time -- it will help readers find your post and respond to it more easily. It also avoids "hijacking" someone else's thread.

17. diebugs2014

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 30 2015 10:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

this is me also second time in almost 2 years. I am falling apart at the seams when I'm trying really hard to hold on. I am so tired of this. I was almost back to normal and then BAM here we go again. please God help us all see us through this. can't even find anyone to come and help me and I'm stuck here with my son who has autism just really bad anxiety right now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714