Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Can I effectively use The Bedbug Beacon in a car?

(12 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 17:30:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I couldn't find any info on whether or not you can use the Bedbug Beacon in a car. Thank you.

2. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 8:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Any ideas?

3. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 0:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody?

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 1:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

No, sorry...can you ask the manufacturer?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 3:01:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I just sent an email to the manufacturer. Thanks.

6. AnxiousItchy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 15:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been trying. Did you hear anything from the manufacturer?

I was bitten in a hotel in Vegas and we took as many precautions as I knew of but had one very large, hardsided suitcase that wasn't able to fit in the bags we had in the car at the airport. : ( So it was not bagged and it was also the one that had my totes, hand bags and clothing in it.

I bought 2 beacons and it finally arrived a few days ago. The car has been sitting in the driveway, closed up in 80 degree outside temps, since we returned July 9th. We have been using our other car for all transportation which is a huge pain but less of a pain than a BB infestation.

After 36 hrs I checked the beacon which I had on the floor ofthe backseat and there was nothing. Last night I moved it up on the backseat, as that is where the luggage was sitting on the way home from the airport.

I am hoping if one did hitch a ride it will come out. I don't know for sure if it is working or if it will work in a closed up small SUV.

7. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 16:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the beacon will work in a car, but I would let it run daily for at least 4-5 days.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 16:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Yes, the beacon will work in a car, but I would let it run daily for at least 4-5 days.

David can confirm, but I would guess that ideally, you run it for five days straight with no humans in the car-- this may not be possible, but if you can do without the car for five days, it means that the Beacon is going to have a better shot at getting bed bugs because they're not feeding on humans at all.

No humans means a better chance the Beacon will lure them out. If they feed on humans when people are in the car during those five days, those same bed bugs won't be caught.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. AnxiousItchy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 17:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved it after about 36 hrs from the floor to the seat. Since I disturbed it, how many more days should I let it run? I have refills. . .

The last time a BB could have fed would have been July 9th. The car has been unoccupied since the night of the 9th and is a small SUV. It's been pretty warm here, if that makes a difference.

10. AnxiousItchy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 2:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

? See questions above

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 13:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I've got a question to add to it. With the heat outdoors being 90s and close to 100, and in the car even higher, will that impact that BB Beacon's ability to work?

12. AnxiousItchy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 14:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure. It was 80's here then 70's but low temps at night. Wide variation.

I took the monitor out last night and no BBs. Very little evaporation in the bottle so I hope it worked. I think there was a pretty low chance we'd bring them home and even lower chance that one would decide to come out of the luggage and stay in the car.

Better safe than sorry, though, and this experience has changed how I think of travel, kids' sleepovers, and even hosting parties. We have to live but AUGH! Why can't these things be eradicated?!

They may not be a "health risk" according to government but they are an expensive drain on society.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage