Can I check the passive monitor daily?

(11 posts)
  1. Bluemoon71

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 19:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Is a daily check of the passive monitor too disruptive? Also, if I am placing the monitor on the box spring, should the monitor be between the wall and the box spring, or should I push the box spring away from the way a bit so that the monitor only touches the box spring? Thanks!

2. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 20:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I see no reason you can't check it every day if you want, although weekly would work too. What I'm not sure about is that the bed is butted against the wall. Maybe look around here about bed isolation until a pro shows up.

3. Bluemoon71

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 20:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Also the box spring sits directly on the floor if that makes any difference in placement.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 6:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You can check daily but the reality is that you only need to check either weekly or following a bite.

They were initially designed for monthly checking but I prefer weekly since we know that if introduced bedbug eggs take 10 - 14 days to hatch, thus there is every change you will catch a rogue bedbug which if it has laid eggs will most likely be inside the monitor and therefore as long as you check every 7 days you can remove them before they hatch.

If the box base is on a frame or the floor makes no difference to the install location.

The other reason for weekly is to avoid over obsessing which can become more of a hindrance by leading to OCD type behaviours in some bedbug cases.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 20:55:28
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Would you recommend against putting 2 monitors on one bed? I have one on the head side of the box spring on a standard american bed (mattress, box spring, frame - no headboard though).
    I want to also lay one flat between box spring and mattress.
    Overkill?
    Thank you!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 7:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi soscared,

I would have to say I see no added benefit in having two passives on a bed. One should work as well as two and part of what I am tryingt o do is avoid over paranoia and over obsessing behaviour. There is a fine line with bedbugs between being aware and worrying too much, I appreciate its traumatic, god only knows with the number of people I have met and help I know all to well what this can be like for some people but the reality is that some do cope with it better than others.

Laying flat at the head end of the box spring between the mattress and the base is fine, just align it so there are a few millimeters sticking out although the vertical section at the back of the box base works best and its easier to inspect.

Hope that helps.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 9:52:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David. My new passives came in the mail yesterday. I want to mount them on my couch and in my vehicle. My couch is a small "L" shape. Where would be the best inconspicous place to mount it? Also, my vehicle is a three row SUV. Where would you suggest?

I also purchased an active monitor. When is the best time to run it in my car? Will the cold temperatures at night affect it?

As always, thanks for your wonderful advice.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 13:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will PM you with regards placement.

With regards actives I dont use them myself so I cant comment on where to place.

David

9. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 21:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I am definitely trying not to go down the OCD road with this issue, I think I am doing pretty good. I am 90% back to "normal" behaviors, and the other 10% are MOSTLY warranted, I think. For example - your suggestion of a smooth sided plastic box by the front door. I do that after certain outings.

Normally the monitor should be placed on the outer (head) side of the box spring, right? Not between the box spring and mattress? Just making sure.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 7:44:59
    #

Login to Send PM

soscared - 10 hours ago  » 
    Normally the monitor should be placed on the outer (head) side of the box spring, right? Not between the box spring and mattress? Just making sure.

They are designed to be installed at the head end at the top of the box section just where the mattress sits. If you have an encasement and are worried about sticking anything to it then you can slide between the base and the mattress, just leave it right up againstt he edge at the head end.

The placement is not as specific as you would think, there are optiomal places but generally bedbugs seem happy to leave existing locations and at least explore it - leaving their mark as they do.

David

11. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 14:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Got it. Thanks again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88