Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Can I break a lease due to bed bugs from another unit?

(2 posts)
  1. paranoidxx

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 20 2012 23:37:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Post deleted at user's request.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 21 2012 0:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi paranoid,

I would suggest we delete that link since it lists your address. You can email me to let me know.

I suspect the answer to your question would not be the same in every area. No one can or should give legal advice over the Internet. Even if someone loves in your town and claims to be a lawyer here, you have no way of knowing they are.

At the very least, you should talk to a tenants' organization in your city or county (try googling one) -- they usually know the local laws well as can often advise on them.

There are two questions you may want the answers to:

1) Can you break the lease due to bed bugs, as you asked, but also
    2) The lease states that the tenant pays for bed bug treatment; if local laws state landlords pay, in some places, this will be honored rather than the lease. Again, that depends on local laws which apply to rental housing and leases, and whether such a stipulation added to the lease is legal there.

I'm not clear on whether you no longer have to pay for treatment since bed bugs were found at the neighbors' place (if not, maybe it's a moot point).

If you cannot find a local tenants' organization which can give you good advice, ask your school in the housing office if there's someone who can advise you. Colleges often try to help students who are having difficulty in off-campus housing. Some colleges even have free legal consultations or legal aid clinics for students. Ask about that.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714