Heat treatment before a move? [Can heat penetrate cardboard]

(7 posts)
  1. GESAGER

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2013 12:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

In short, most likely like everyone else on this site, I have bed bugs and the most horrid landlord. So after a long stupid battle me and my roommates are moving, but do not want to take these pests with us. So we've had a talk with Orkin to heat treat our unit. Now we live in a four-plex so I know that this is not a long term solution, that they'll still be in the rest of the building. But the heat treatment plan that we talked about with Orkin will at least get them out of our stuff and keep them out of the unit for at least a few days while we move out and hopefully never see these things again.
    So the question is, can we pack things ahead of time, like books, unused clothes, dishes and the like and will the heat treatment still work on them. One of my roommates is apprehensive that it won't work if we do this, but if we can pack stuff ahead of time then we can just get up and go right away and then the risk of re-infection will be smaller.
    Any other advice would be super helpful. If you have the time and are feeling super kind you can take a look at the Evidence and Documentation blog that I've been keeping and you could give advice there too! Thanks

http://bedbugsinmyhouse.blogspot.com/

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2013 12:46:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatment done right requires technicians who really know what they're doing. They should be able to answer definitively how loose things need to be packed. If they can't, they should not be doing the job.

Heat treatment done right will kill all the bugs and eggs in your unit, but will offer zero deterrence for bed bugs coming right over once the place cools. Why do you think heat treatment will keep neighboring bugs away "for a few days"? If you want to guarantee that your stuff is bed bug free, then treat it outside the home, in a container, trailer, specially built heat truck or in a technician's base of operations. Otherwise, just deal with each item individually (in a dryer, or PackTite, or with DDVP strips, per label precautions, inspect, wipe, etc.). You can also have your goods treated with Vikane gas enroute your move.

Why on earth would you want to a. heat treat your awful landlord's apartment and b. risk having you blame you for possible damage to his home?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. cinciNASTIbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2013 13:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but: I would think heat treatment would penetrate the boxes. When we had heat treatment, part of the treatment was the men coming in and moving things around. So clothes, in drawers, things in closets to ensure the heat was able to circulate.
    I would be worried that if boxes were packed too tightly things wouldnt allow the heat to circulate, thus allowing cooler spots for the BBs.
    If you decide to go with it, i would be tempted to pay for a chemical treatment upon move in to a new place just incase there were any stragglers. A little over kill, and probably unnecessary and paranoid...but...that's what these bugs do to us!

4. GESAGER

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2013 19:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto- The treatment that Orkin does, or at least the one that he suggested, is a double treatment. They do the heat treatment and then treat the perimiter for straglers. So then the rest of the bugs won't come into the unit for a time.

Also I don't think that anything more wrong could go with this place unless it out right exploded. We're already going to sue this man for swindling us.

5. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2013 2:17:28
    #

Login to Send PM

is Orkin doing heat treatment in Canada as well now? anyone knows ? Sean?

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2013 13:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ges,

Well, some key considerations have been raised above by cilecto (BTW, maybe it's just me but folks, seriously, doesn't that sound like a super hero's name: "Cilecto"? Wonder what his super power is? Are you a DC/Marvel type super hero or an X-men type mutant, hmmmmm . . .) and cinci.

Some comments for your review & consideration:

> There's no residual to heat, none !

> Since many bed bugs tend to run about when temperatures rise (check out my youtube video for some sobering consideration there) it's likely not optimal to do the heat and residual temperatures seperately.

> We need to assure that the residual treatment products have been tested to withstand heat treatment temperatures without losing their efficacy. Thus far I've only seen such published test data from one manufacturer. (And, it's the one that rhymes with hair who showed that their products remain efficacious after a heat treatment.)

> It's a myth to think that bed bugs will cross a residual treated swath and pick up sufficient dosage to product mortaility.

> Thermodynamics need to be well considered when deciding upon your heat treatment.

> Will the packed contaners be packed too densely such that bed bugs within, if any, might survive the heat treatment?

> Are we using all cardboard boxes? These boxes provide numerous hiding places for bed bugs between the corogations and elsewhere. Perhaps consider using plastic storage containers and plastic bags instead???

> Are there any treatment guaranties being offfered or is this adventure going to be a "crap shoot" with only your money at risk ?

> Can you schedule your move to fit YOUR own schedule? If so, then there may be numerous logistical advantages in your favor opposite how you do the preventative treatment during the moving process.

> Can you be certan the place your moving to doesn't have a problem? We don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire (as they say).

> With a suitable scheduling, you can otherwise "de-bug" your stuff, pack it in bed bug proof containers followed by moving it to the new place as your time & logistics permit. Of course, you'd have to already have a place to move to or to store your stuff at safely.

> If you must do the heat thing then you'll need to ask that additional temperature sensor/monitors are placed within your packed stuff to assure that the lethal temperatures are reached.

> You'll also want to know how long they intend to "hold" their target temperature during the treatment. And, you may wish to see a print out of the heat treatment key data points by sensor read out as well as a map/diagram of sensor locations should they have the ability to print this out for you.

> You'll probably want to be "on hand" to observe the work being done while it's being done. It's your money and your a## that's gonna get bit or not; just sayin . . .

> It may be wise to seek additional estimates from other heat treatment pros such that you have a better perspective of what options are available to you in your area.

Now you have some additional considerations.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2013 15:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

endless_nightmare - 13 hours ago  » 
    is Orkin doing heat treatment in Canada as well now? anyone knows ? Sean?

According to their website, they use a combination of Heat, chemicals and encasement in Canada.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45