Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can bedbugs live in the wilderness?

(4 posts)
  1. phreaking_out_doors

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 0:42:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-

A friend and I recently hiked a section of the Pacific Crest Trail. Our first night out, we camped at a primitive campsite near a lake. A small, brown bug ran across my leg as I sat on a tree stump, and I joked to my friend, "Hey, this looks like a bed bug." The joke is now on me.

We spent three nights and four days backpacking. Each night I had trouble sleeping due to itchiness and feeling like something was crawling all over me. Each day we were swarmed by mosquitos, so I attributed my burning, itching back to mosquito bites.

However, when I got home and took a look at my back, my entire back was covered in clusters of bites. The bites are red welts, often in a straight line and groups of two or three covering my entire back and on my hips around the line of where my underwear was. I was fully clothed each night (it was cold!) . My friend has similar bites on her ankles and legs.

Since returning home, I have a couple of new bites in the same cluster pattern (although not a straight line) on my foot and ankle. My friend has new bites up her leg. Could this be bedbugs? Batbugs? Chiggers?

We live in Washington state, and I can upload pictures of the bites if that is at all helpful.

Thanks so much!

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 1:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but bedbugs live in places that are inhabited constantly by their hosts. For example they would not live n a car as it is not inhabited enough nor remain in a campsite unless it is always inhabited.
    I suggest you inspect and wash your backpack. Check your shoes. Wash all the clothes from your trip just to make sure you haven't brought anything back with you.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 7:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't be concerned at all when hiking, wouldn't even cross my mind. Physical exertion, mosquitoes, flies, chiggers; you were outside, for an extended period, it is to be expected.

4. phreaking_out_doors

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 10:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to you both. I'm going to see if any new bites emerge over the next couple of weeks and post back with an update

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,300 posts in 49,235 topics over 152 months by 21,583 of 22,004 members. Latest: looking2identify, Robbysee, Elephant88