Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

can bedbugs be transfered on pets?

(6 posts)
  1. eliliy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 15:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, I'm totally new @ this, and have found this forum very helpful, so thanks all for your amazing advice!

One thing i couldn't find is if bedbugs can be transfered by pets. we are having our house treated in a couple days, and i would like to have my cat (who's not the healthiest) go stay with a friend to avoid the chemicals for a couple days. Does anyone know the risk of bedbugs being transferred to my friend's house that way? i'm assuming that the bugs themselves won't want to hang out on the kitty, but maybe picking up an egg or something???

Thanks for the input!

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 17:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

i would think that technically a bedbug could be transported by a pet..i read somewhere that the bbs don't like hair but they might try to get on the less hairy underbelly part of the pet and suck there, no? why would it be impossible for bbs to travel on pets?

3. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 5:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a few cats. Tudor was definitely bitten by bedbugs - he has very short fur. I learned of this during the start of the infestation when he seemed restless and would get off the bed which he always slept on. In fact he developed round bald patches which our vet thought were caused by something biting him and as he wasn't plagued by fleas it was very likely the bugs. However I have never seen one on our cats and unless these was a massive infestation with hordes of hungry bugs I would think your cat would not transfer them as bugs prefer not to reside on people and animals - they just see warm blooded creatures as food.
    Jacks

4. eliliy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 0:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the input guys! i was thinking i probably need to be most concerned with treating the kennel before moving him.

5. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 13:00:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I would give kitty a very good thorough brushing all over just before putting her in a clean carrier to go. You can also buy kitty bath wipes and go all over her with one of those. Hopefully if there is anything, that would get it off the cat. This is what I plan to do with my cat when I move. I don't think there is a huge risk but always possible.

6. eliliy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 18:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for letting me know about the bath wipes, i'll look into those! good luck with your move kirads09.

e

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,509 posts in 46,594 topics over 142 months by 20,551 of 21,418 members. Latest: Nicky, pestbreaker, TRAY