Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

can bed bugs leave scratch marks on skin

(11 posts)
  1. done in

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 11:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Have been dealing with this too long, since May. PCO says I don't have bugs. I keep getting small bites and red pin dots. Dr. is going to send me to a dermatologist. Today when I got up I looked at my lower legs. Nothing there. Sat and read the paper, lower leg was sore. Looked and there are 2 bright red scratch marks , one an inch long the other smaller. I have had these scratch marks show up before. Had 3 long thin red scratches on my lower calf. Went to the clinic to see if Dr. could tell me if they could be from a bite. She said that no bug bites like that. PCO says the same. Has anyone out there experienced red thin scratch marks from bites?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 12:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Does not sound insect related to me either. Please remember that problems with the skin do not always have to point to some kind of insect. I have seen people with marks the size of a pin head or as bad as what a shot gun blast would look like. And again, more times then not, it's not insect related.

Best of luck at the doctor.

3. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 13:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting you should ask, done in. I have had a few rashy scratches that sound like what you are describing. They are small and usually narrow, at most a half to 3/4 of an inch long. Just yesterday, I found one on my left forearm, and another near the bend under my right elbow. I have seen a few less noticeable ones here and there over the last 2-3 weeks. At first I thought it was a reaction to insecticide, but it has been over 3 weeks since I had any put down, and they are still appearing. They fade away in 48 hours or less. I don't know if you are still doing all kinds of washing, drying, extra showers, etc., but I always try to remember that these heating projects of ours change the condition of our skin, bed bugs or not.

I don't know. I am still getting what may be small bites, but haven't noticed any new pin pricks for a while. If I remember correctly from your previous posts, you have been dealing with this since May. Surely you should be seeing some hard evidence again, if these skin signs mean anything. If you aren't, your PCO is probably correct. Any carpet beetles there? It seems like some people here are dually infested.

I hope, and actually believe, that your fears are unfounded. The PCO probably has it right, and something else is bothering your skin.

4. bait

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 22:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw this thread awhile ago, sorry it's taken me so long to post.

Scratch marks have been reported in these forums before, so I would search for them. Try "scratch mark" (leave off the 's').

I most definitely have had scratch marks as you describe.

There is something referred to as comets in a paper found online here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2630734/

These particular comets are associated with bites caused by mites that parasitized furniture beetles. Rest assured -- this is not what you and I have experienced. This just shows that another parasite is known for a red, long, scratch-like mark emanating from the bite wound. (Yes, there's something worse than bed bugs out there!)

This same research team is currently doing a study in France on bed bugs and their mites (if any)

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01089465

Bait

5. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 8 2011 1:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I felt relieved to be able to rule out new red marks as bites on a thigh covered in bites. It always makes me feel better to be able to decide some things just aren't. It's a scratch! Ok, well the "scratch" healed and there still is a row of 3 big red welts that now look like all the others although the scratch mark itself has cleared up. So... Might not actually be scratches but perhaps just redness playing connect the dots.

6. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 9:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, bait. I thought I remembered seeing something about it, but couldn't seem to find it. My son woke up yesterday with two sets of the traditional three bites. When I questioned him, he said he hasn't had any other similar bites, but often wakes up with "scratches." Then my husband chimed in, "Remember that big scratch on my nose a few months ago?" I also had one several months ago and posted about it, but no one replied. I think the title was something about dozens of bites in a row, because that's how it seemed to me. We did have a confirmed case of bed bugs, but I'm also wondering about mites. Are previous posters sure they are dealing with bed bugs or could it be mites?

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 9:16:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, just to describe our scratches.....Mine was a light scratch, but at least 4 inches long. H's was a deep scratch, but less than an inch in length.

8. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 1:39:51
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a term we use in the art field called "gestalt theory". Meaning our minds will complete an unfinished picture if we suspect we know what the complete ought to be. If one places three dots spaced to mark the corners of a square but leave one out, we will fill in the blank and see a square. When I see a row of dots on my skin it's hard to tell if there is actually really a faint red line connecting them or if it is my mind placing it there.

9. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 7:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

How often do people discover "scratches" on their body and not remember getting them? It's just not that common. People/kids do occasionally scratch themselves while sleeping, but usually it's because of a bug bite, eczema, chicken pox, etc.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 11:40:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to chime in but there is no such thing as traditional 3 bites with bedbugs. Its one of the early beliefs that they bite in threes but its simply not accurate and should be actively discouraged as a diagnostic aid.

Bites on the lower body with a red dot in the center always makes me thing of fleas first.

I cant think of a single insect that is capable of leaving a scratch as most have needle like mouth parts, that does not exclude scratches occurring as a result of unknowing fingernails scratching at night but its highly unlikely to be as a direct result of the insect itself.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  11. frakken

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 20 2017 6:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

the scratch marks and experiences listed here perfectly described what I have and have had in short bouts for the last several years. red pin dots in a line that mysterious appear where i haven't scratched myself, often in a matter of minutes.

I can tell you from my experience that I have yet to identify which bug it is that is causing these scratch mark like trails but i promise you they are most certainly bug bites as the condition is contagiousness. I first got them from the beach and thought they might be sand fleas but i'm more confident that they are some sort of dust mite bite as these bites do not resemble flea bites at all.

I've had success treating it with Nix lotion (lice and crab treatment). But these buggers are really hard to get rid off. Once they infect your shoes your shoes are garbage. You can lock them away in a closet for literally years and the very next time you put them on you will get scratch marks appear all over your ankles the very next day. I tried freezing the shoes and it made no difference.

My boyfriend spent the night and then he had them the next day too. The doctor doesn't recognize them as any bite he is familiar with but the fact that they are this contagious is irrefutable evidence that they are in fact bug bites.

The only success I've had in getting rid of them is to wash everything twice. throw out my shoes and buy new ones, and treat legs with Nix and again in 3 weeks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto