Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Can bed bugs be eliminated?

(21 posts)
  1. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 10:49:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems logical just to loosen regulations so new insecticides can be developed or lift the ban on the old effective insecticides. But we are at the mercy of environmental fanatics and their hysterical fear-mongering as well as the EPA's dictates.

We should feel comfortable in our own homes and beds. What is supposed to be the most peaceful time of day shouldn't become the most stressful.

The article quotes someone saying we are going to have to learn to live with this. I don't accept that.

Bed bugs were eliminated before, there's no reason that can't be the case again. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Some may be tired of me bringing up this subject and I hope it's not taboo to discuss because I think it something we need to discuss here, but I hardly ever get feedback on.

Expert: bed bugs here to stay

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/expert-bed-bugs-here-to-stay/article_2bbf9f66-716a-5267-acb8-b5fc4fb724fe.html?mode=jqm

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 11:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we're almost all in agreement that if they were completely eradicated no one would be sad. There are plenty of other bugs that PCOs could focus their time on, there are plenty of other avenues that the snake oil salesmen could address, and I'm sure we'd all find something to hate as much as bed bugs.
    We had a problem here at work, so I watched, I read, I annoyed people here at times, then I built an industrial sized PackTite to treat a freezer chest full of items at one time. Newer member Jim made his own monitor/trap, David Cain built a monitor, Paul wrote a book; the list goes on and on. How many PCOs have modified and made their own tools; progress is being made at a pretty impressive pace in my view.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 11:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

DIN:

The article quotes someone saying we are going to have to learn to live with this. I don't accept that.

It's not just "someone", the quote is from Dr. Dini Miller, a leading urban entomologist, researcher and writer about bed bugs. Which makes the statement all the more discouraging. And, I agree, I don't accept that either.

Something is very wrong here, and because the blame (from Miller and at least one pro here) is on the government's regulatory stance, then the solution to some extent rests with the government. But if government supposedly works for us, then it's up to us to push for stronger action.

Richard

4. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 11:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard, I agree. The government needs to stop being an impediment.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 11:43:36
    #

Login to Send PM

DIN:

Richard, I agree. The government needs to stop being an impediment.

Part of the problem is that bed bugs have not yet shown to be a serious disease vector. If they were, I think we'd see more government action, perhaps even a "Bed Bug Czar" which I personally think would move things along from talk to action. It's unfortunate, because disease vector or not, the havoc these things play on minds and wallets should be taken more seriously.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks bed bugs could not be eradicated again if the government stepped up. Dr. Miller pretty much said as much in her article.

Richard

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 11:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I kill bed bugs every day using the products already on the market. I have 0 complaints and have solved every case I've taken on. I'll bet you that I've seen some of the worst cases the world has ever seen and never once lost the fight. From buildings with 26 plus apartments infested to single stand alone homes, I get the job done every day. 10 year long infestations or hunting down a single bug in an apartment, I've never failed at what I do. I can show you videos that would make your jaw drop.

The problem is not product selection. The problem is with lazy or incompetent PCO's.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 12:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

KK:

The problem is not product selection. The problem is with lazy or incompetent PCO's.

I have no doubt that if you (or some of the other PCO's here) could clone themselves, and treat all the bed bug infestations in the country, that the problem would go away. Unfortunately, this is unrealistic.

First, not everyone can afford your type of time intensive integrated approach. In fact, many people cannot afford treatment at all, and have to rely either on DIY, or less than competent and often under compensated PCOs supplied either by building management or governmental agencies.

So being realistic, more effective product selections that will work well with the average PCO seems to be the only answer short of some other magic bullet.

Richard

8. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 12:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe you, KillerQueen, but unfortunately you don't have a license to operate in New Jersey, otherwise I would have called on you. For what I have spent on multiple sets of treatments with failed results, whatever you charge would have been well worth it. In fact I did PM you for help last year, but you told me you can't operate in NJ.

9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 13:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with Killer Queen. I sent an email a week ago to Dr. Miller asking her to field test my product. She never responded. And I can also say that I have sent emails to some of the other 'expert academics' who have never responded. The big issue is all these different products confuse the average consumer. They start with the store bought spray, then out comes the DE, and then they encase the mattress but neglect to inspect the encasement. Then, they will makeshift interceptor devices, but still neglect to inspect the bed. And by this time, the steamer or vacuum that could have helped initially, sits in the closet untouched. I was in a guy's room the other day and he had all but given up. The white walls were splotched with dozens and dozens of smashed bedbugs. And this guy has a roommate, who had coated his carpet with DE. Distressed - Do you still have bedbugs? Send me a message. I'll send you some samples.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 15:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the middle of the price range for service. Not the cheapest but also not the most expensive. There are companies here in NY that charge 2 and 3 times more then me.

It's like anything else ... You want it done right it comes at a price. I can do 4 shit bed bug treatments a day and charge 1/4 the price or do 1 treatment a day and get paid accordingly. When I first opened my inspections were half of what I charge now. Reason? If companies were going to charge twice the price I was for bullshit K9 inspections with 50/50 results, I was going to charge the same thing with damn near 100% proven results. Only problem today is - there's still too many clueless management companies and people out there that actually think the dog is 98% accurate. Management companies would probably save 30-40% on pest control if they used my inspection services.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 15:54:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Was always thinking about NJ but there's enough work here and the added traffic would put me in an early grave.

12. riley123

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 20:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I really think it comes down to education, education, education. I did get annoyed on this site once because everyone kept on telling me to not to do it myself, but to call up a PCO. But, frankly most of those I called were idiots and didn't even know as much as I did (I will admit that I am a research fanatic - but hey, I do that for a living). I did use an expert and in combination of doing things on my own, and I'm hopeful that I am at the tail end of my journey and heading back towards "normal" life. Not everyone can do what I did - not everyone can afford the time to research to get educated, and not everyone has the money to pay for a qualified PCO. It is just so sad that this issue doesn't seem to be dealt with on even a Micro-political level...you just see scare items in newspapers.

BTW - I think it would be great if this site posted current studies done on bb eradication....if it's there and I missed, well then sorry for the suggestion I read many of the Rutgers studies prior to even having my home treated and found them fascinating.

13. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 20:24:42
    #

Login to Send PM

riley:

I did get annoyed on this site once because everyone kept on telling me to not to do it myself, but to call up a PCO. But, frankly most of those I called were idiots... Not everyone can do what I did - not everyone can afford the time to research to get educated...

That's why we often try to dissuade people from DIY. Because most people aren't willing or able to do what you did. So it often comes down to calling a professional "idiot", or doing it in an idiotic way yourself. Mind you, not a great choice but probably best go with the professional idiot.

Fortunately, we have some pros (many who post here) who are far from idiots, but I think that's where this thread is going astray. No one disputes that given the right pro, bed bugs can be eradicated on a case by case basis. The problem is that formula doesn't work on a national basis due to factors already discussed. Here, it seems like we need federal intervention unless we are willing to accept the gloomy outlook of Dr. Miller.

Richard

14. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2015 10:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I've actually advocated that the federal government stop being a hindrance and lift the ban on pesticides which were unnecessarily banned or loosen regulations on research for new pesticides. The environmental movement has too much power, has gone to extremes and won't be satisfied until we are brought back to a primitive state.

15. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2015 12:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Im wondering if the EPA can be sued for their responsibility for the bed bug epidemic.

16. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2015 8:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The other side of this coin are folks that have massive infestations and could care less. I've experienced it first hand, and by reading threads here so have many others. How can you get rid of the bugs when others are running BB factory's?

You can't unless those factory's are shut down.

WhatBugs?

17. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2015 10:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point.

18. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2015 22:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that bed bugs were eliminated from the UK after WWII due to a public awareness campaign?
    Surely govts could at least run public awareness side of things (instead of burying their heads in the sand and foolishly maintaining that the problem is an individual rather than a community one): you know, catchy TV ads about what to look for, how to prevent, and where to get more info if you discover them.

Such campaigns are usually very successful (here at least). Some effective ones here include the one that made it uncool to litter, called 'Do the Right Thing,' and there was also a good one for AIDS awareness - the 'Grim Reaper' - they both ran about 20 years ago but people still remember and talk about them.

19. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 8 2015 11:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that bed bugs were eliminated from the UK after WWII due to a public awareness campaign?

Likely they were eliminated because of DDT.

20. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 8 2015 21:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed in NJ - 10 hours ago  » 

Likely they were eliminated because of DDT.

Yes but taking a step back from that, people had to be aware of them and know how to treat them.

21. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2015 7:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,415 posts in 50,190 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams