Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Can bed bugs be dormant for 2 months even though there are people around

(15 posts)
  1. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 10 2016 16:12:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to post a lot here till 2 months ago and thought about coming here multiple times to write a success story but I was always scared of celebrating prematurely, unfortunately my instinct maybe right.

My overall story is here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/an-updatelong-thread-but-request-experts-to-read-and-comment

In short wife is pregnant and we did not want chemical treatment. The PCO came a couple of times, did a preventive spray once (before our doctor said NO) but after that he did not find any evidence to do a treatment.

I had a k9 inspection on 23rd November but saw an unfed male bug on 29th Nov. The PCO came again and did not find any evidence and said to wait a couple of weeks in case that was a loner male.

I have had interceptors since then and I have cimexa all around the baseboards and under the beds.

After 29th November, on Jan 10th, for 42 days my 3 yr old (who shows big welts when bit) did not show any bites and I was thinking we are clear. But i found some fecal spots on the wall which I think was from the earlier infestation because the bed is away from the wall and has interceptors and cimexa around it.

From Jan 10th again, no bites, no fecals and I had another clear k9 inspection from a different company on Jan 25th.

However, yesterday when I got up in the afternoon (i have been sick) i saw a bug bite like welt on my stomach. I immediately searched around the bed and frame but did not find anything. Today, i slept on a different bed and again got up with two welts. I searched this bed and frame as well but cant find anything. I also have the packtite passive monitor on this bed which is clear.

I cant think what else would create bites like these.
    Is it possible that the bugs were just waiting all this while and came out when they found a path (through cimexa) and all that. I have a very thin layer of cimexa, that should not stop them from walking over it.

Is it possible that they were dormant and came out after 2.5 months even though there were 3 people living in the apartment all the while?

I am of course panicking because we just setup the room for our soon to be newborn who is due in March and I am afraid everything is infested.

2. Bugginout90

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 10 2016 16:33:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps you have a viral infection that causes hives. You said you've been sick. Maybe they are just that.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 10 2016 16:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Stress can make your body react in odd ways.

If we assume that you have a bed bug infestation and they are currently feeding then they will have to poop, mate and molt. Keep a look out for those solid indicators instead of focusing on bites and see what you come up with over the next two weeks.

4. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 10 2016 20:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugginout90 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Perhaps you have a viral infection that causes hives. You said you've been sick. Maybe they are just that.

It is weird that these welts appeared at the same time I got fever, however I have only got 4 (i just got one more on my hand) and with viral hives the numbers are larger. But I hope what you are saying is correct.

5. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 10 2016 20:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Stress can make your body react in odd ways.
    If we assume that you have a bed bug infestation and they are currently feeding then they will have to poop, mate and molt. Keep a look out for those solid indicators instead of focusing on bites and see what you come up with over the next two weeks.

Thanks Big. I will keep an eye out for the next 14 days. However I have been doing that for months now. Lately I had stopped taking off the mattress and looking at the frame with magnifying glass but I did it today. All I do nowadays is look at the passive monitors, the interceptors and the sheet, pillow and encasement for fecal. Hate to do this all over again especially so close to my newborn coming.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 11 2016 0:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

To answer your question, experts tell us bed bugs won't "go dormant" in the way you're describing. The only reason bed bugs would not feed on people who were present for 2.5 mo. is if they were physically prevented (eg they were sealed into something they could not get out of).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2016 20:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

did not find signs of bugs yet. However I continue to get welts. My first welt was Tuesday and then I got around 5 more (1 at a time) till Thursday. Friday and Saturday were quiet and I thought that maybe the welt was because of my sickness, but today (Sunday) morning again got up with 1 welt. These last only for a few hours and disappear.

It seems like I am getting bitten everywhere since the bites have come after everywhere I spent time, both beds and couch.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 6:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

binincave - 4 hours ago  » 
    Howdy, In two months without food they will die.

Actually that's quite untrue. Temperature dependent: cooler temps, longer period of time without blood meal is possible. 2 months isn't very long at all.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 8:39:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Others have posted here also. A nymph can survive upwards to 60-70 days until it gets its first meal.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  10. jendeo102696

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 11:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Even with "food" present?

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 12:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

jendeo102696 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Even with "food" present?

No.

While they can live without food for a long time, they aren't going to forego eating if food is available.

As I stated above,

... experts tell us bed bugs won't "go dormant" in the way you're describing. The only reason bed bugs would not feed on people who were present for 2.5 months is if they were physically prevented (eg they were sealed into something they could not get out of).

12. jendeo102696

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 12:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found this article that creeper me out thinking we may never be rid of them. But I'd rather stick with your line if reasoning NoBugs!

julesnoise.com/686-2/

13. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 15 2016 20:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

That article did freak me out. Got up with today with 1 small welt. It disappeared after a few hours and then another one which was there for a few hours and then the third one for another few hours. Interestingly these are never together.

I read in many places that bug bites usually stay for longer. Dr. Sorkin or anyone, is there any truth to that? I remember reading a post by Lou that his bite only last for less than an hour. True Lou?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 16 2016 1:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

jendeo102696 - 13 hours ago  » 
    I just found this article that creeper me out thinking we may never be rid of them. But I'd rather stick with your line if reasoning NoBugs!
    julesnoise.com/686-2/

As far is I understand it, that website is written by people who are not experts. I am not one either, but the information I shared about bed bugs not going dormant if they have food present does come from experts here.

15. jendeo102696

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 16 2016 1:54:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I know sometimes Google can be my worst enemy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail