Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

can BB's get brought in under someone's shoes?

(11 posts)
  1. Rantin Raven

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 23 2014 16:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in an apartment building that has been dealing with bedbugs in some suites, usually repeat "customers", there is a communal couch made out of fabric that I see people sit in, the ones who are repeat "customers", and I can see how the cycle never gets broken. The people in charge of this place insist that they will get rid of it, but there it sits, and there I will never sit!
    Because of that, I am subjected to not monthly inspections, but now they decided to invade one's space TWICE a month.
    I have many issues, one of which is being violated, invaded, and these inspections are a huge violation of my privacy and dignity.
    I have never had bedbugs, I do not have anyone come visit, I don't go to anyone else's room and so far so good.

However, my question is this:
    When the guy goes from room to room, coming to my door last (I'm at the end of the hall) can he track bed bug eggs on his shoes?
    Can bed bug anything get stuck to his shoes?

2. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 23 2014 20:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Fortnightly inspection? Good. The earlier an infestation is caught, the quicker it can be brought under control.

When there is an active infestation in an apartment building, checking all adjoining units is essential & where there are shared service pipes/ ducts, there's a case for checking all units along those potential routes of escape. If your landlords have decided to just check everybody, hats off to them - sometimes people don't realise they've got BBs, sometimes people are too embarassed to admit it. A blanket approach means no varmint get left behind.

It's far more common for people to treat an infestation without involving neighbours, only to get re-infested because other affected units weren't inspected/ treated.

Violated? You don't think that's just a teeny bit off the deep end? A bit of an imposition I'll grant you but violated? Specifically, in what possible way is this an affront to your dignity?*

I'm not up for a flame war - just suggesting you apply logic to this situation. Logic's a very calming tool.

What's better - a landlord who seems to be taking a genuinely active approach to the problem, or someone content to be slapdash, leaving you open to infestation?

On the shoes query - given that we live in a universe of infinite possibility, it's not wholly impossible but shoes/boots really aren't ideal harbourages & there would have to be a hair-rasingly high level of infestation for BBs to be hurling themselves at moving targets in broad daylight. Moreover, decent PCOs are trained to check themselves whilst doing inspection/ treatments & there are clear incentives so to do; no-one likes to get bitten & no-one wants to run the risk of taking BBs home.

* Rhetorical question, no reply necessary.

3. MommaOnAMission

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 23 2014 22:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Taking it from someone that is dealing with an infestation in an apartment, I will be begging my landlord to inspect other apartments (and by a PCO). My daughters are still getting bite marks after two treatments of Temprid SC (and my own application of DE and encasements.)

4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 4:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, i feel the EXACT same way you feel about your privacy being repeatedly intruded on against your will due to an apartment building's bedbug eradication program, as is currently happening in my building as well, although the inspections here are nowhere near as frequent (About once every 3 months) but all of it still deeply affects my own personal life in a very negative way (This is like being in prison in my opinion, complete with canines entering my apartment against my will). The building i live in recently started to provide housing to the bottom feeders of society, people like druggies, winos, e.t.c. and guess what........that is around the time bedbugs first made their appearance here! (Of course there are plenty of "repeat customers" here too) And i don't have the money to move out and it doesn't look like i will have it anytime in the near future. Anyway, if i had the time i could rant endlessly about this issue and my outrage at it. Although it could be considered to be a very good thing that a landlord takes action like the post above mine mentions i do feel that the wrong approaches are taken most of the time and that it would be more effective for landlords to educate all their tenants about bedbugs and how to best avoid bringing them home, as well as penalizing tenants who repeatedly bring bedbugs back into the building (Big fines and eviction threats for repeat offenders) rather than a vicious circle of intruding on tenants privacy over and over and repeatedly treating units while basically getting nowhere. As for your question on whether someone can track bedbugs into a unit on their shoes it is not very likely but still possible. In my situation i was told the inspectors from Orkin as well as their dogs were "pre-treated" with a type of residual chemical that was applied to their clothing, shoes, and dog's fur prior to their arrival that would kill any bedbugs that happened to latch on to them, but i can't say whether or not there was any actual truth to that.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  5. Rantin Raven

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 8:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the answers on whether bugs take a ride on shoes... it's free-rolling eggs I'm worried about, do they roll around even? or are they attached to the bed/couch/etc, like the way spiders attach their egg sacs?

I'd like to clarify that the violation I described was mainly due to the fact that the guy went in my room while I wasn't there. I was visiting a friend, and was unable to boat back (just to be home while being inspected) due to extreme cold and frozen lake around the boat launch, thus rendering all us little boats iced in until 3 days later.
    So, yeah, I was outraged at the lack of respect to my only space. It's bad enough to be invaded while I stand there watching my bed get unmade, when I never had the damn things, and I know what to look for (thanks to much photos).
    It's a rundown 100 year old rental, revolving door tenancy.
    The guy inspecting is not a real inspector of anything, he's just the manager of the building, and he plays mental games. for a building of people with mostly mental disabilities (physical disabilitied people can't live here because of all the stairs) mostly emotionally scarred folks, like me, everyone's "capable", just not the way the world is set up, which is all geared towards money and outgoing-ness and "smile"

At least people with money have the option to move, and get new stuff... although most people with the money actually OWN their home, and don't have to go to thrift shops for anything... so that's kinda moot...
    I hate being poor, especially as I could have been successful with my artwork if I ever had a decent home at all, instead moving all the time, because of landlords selling the place, too many times.
    At least here I can afford it on my own, because I had given up and realized that I really was f*cked up, really am incapable of making it in this world, so joined the ranks of mental disability. It's not getting better either, the way it spirals down ever deeper without a way out.
    I've gotten paranoid at any fleck of dark on my bed (I smoke, so it ends up being a piece of ash, or tobacco)
    My vacuum burned out the first time I used it in this room.
    So haven't been able to keep on top of my preventative measures of vacuuming after someone walks in from the hallway.
    Can't afford to get it fixed, so I have a doom-day feeling, that it's a matter of time, before I see any in my room.
    I really hate sharing space with other people, the bathrooms down the hall (already got an althetes foot itch, even though I bring my own floortowel... but then I didn't think of the actual shower floor.... Aaarg! now I need flipflops to shower in....!
    I would be so much happier in my own home, a trailer even. with nature, not downtown city. I don't belong here. Feels like a rat cage. even though I love rats, they're cute.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 9:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Eggs are not free rolling, they are literally cemented to the surface they are laid on and its hard to get them off without a knife or paint scraper.

More than many other subjects the misconceptions about eggs are often very out of kilter with their reality.

With regards regular inspections it is a tough issue. I have a client who we inspect all 260 apartments once a month. The occupants are requested and trained to check weekly but with other priorities in their lives we know it does not always get done.

I am happy to inspect at 1 monthly increments as it means the infestation is never present for more than 31 days which means its only going to be a small issue to deal with. We worried it was too far apart when we started this a few years ago but now it not than uncommon for the person inspecting to take an extra 5 minutes in a room to ensure any detected infestation is resolved and 99 times out of 100 the occupant was not yet aware of their issue.

I was going to reply that maybe you could reach a compromise with the management team as to a set of steps you can take to lower the frequency of the inspections but it would need to be set to a very high standard and for my satisfaction I would only settle for monthly emailed images of a clear monitor and would still have a process override in cases where adjoining units had confirmed activity.

I suspect you are right about the sofa in the lobby but it may also be that the source of bringing bedbugs into the building is common to the occupants but still external tot he building. Often when you inspect such buildings you get as much feel for what is doing on by keeping your eyes open in the rest of the neighborhood.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Rantin Raven

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 16:45:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David, now I know that eggs have next to nil chance of sticking to shoes (I experienced fleas before, not the same!)
    I could also add that the building has a downstairs part that has a homeless shelter, and that is probably the source of initial bugs...
    my solution to that is to locate the homeless shelter in its own house, separate from long term residential apartments; but it's all under the umbrella of Nelson Cares Society that includes legal advocacy, welfare advocacy, counseling, and of course the homeless committee (the committee comprises of mostly landlords... kind of weird to me, shouldn't a homeless committee include homeless people, or people who have experienced homelessness, instead of people who own their homes plus other homes that poor people pay for...? (I ask rhetorical questions like this a lot, the world around me just baffles me sometimes. It also horrifies me sometimes too).
    BTW, I heard that lavender oil is a good deterrent, but I can't afford a huge bottle of that, but if I could afford one, I would want to spray a steady line along the ceiling and the floor, the electrical outlets are all external, with the wiring going along the outside of the wall, and there are no gaps, that I can see.

Gawd! if only I was rich, I would provide a whole house for the shelter, and an acreage with trailers, or modular homes, or even yurts... or those micro homes I see my friends posting all over Facebook... I keep wanting to write: "but where could one build a little home? it's the land that's being hoarded", even traveling in a camper was next to impossible to find a quiet natural spot to stay for the summer. All private properties, no trespassing.
    Too many landlords, and not enough self ownership, too much rent charged and not enough income (or banks that refuse everyone who doesn't have a $2000 plus month job.... when I made 800 at the most, working full time.... good enough to pay too much rent, but not good enough to pay for one's home. It's a hell of a way to treat people who don't have the families/spouses/jobs/connections/luck... we certainly don't choose to be at the bottom of the "food chain", I certainly didn't, despite everything I did to not end up like this....

well, while I'm at it, I might as well post what I did with my life for the past 30 years:
    On Facebook is my Photo Albums, set on Public, I think, so anyone can see it, Marie Constance Levert.
    drawings, dreamcatchers, airbrush t-shirts, and graphic design and computer art. It's my talent that wasn't nurtured by parental units, and never had a chance to go further. I guess that's why I make these desperate attempts at self promoting like what I'm doing here... the need for acceptance, for belonging, is widespread in our culture of money and business and desperation and inequality... it's really hard to get away from bad situations when there is no way open to escape, work towards betterment... I do what I can, and it's all most of us can do...

ok, stick a fork in me, I'm done!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 17:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please read the FAQ's, it covers the fact that essential oils as repellants are not the way forward.

I know what you mean about homeless or at least ex homeless people on committees but as someone who actively seeks to employ those from difficult backgrounds I can assure you its a lot smoother the way it is. If you actually understand the problem you drive solutions rather than committees discussing them and some feeling better about what they do by doing so.

It is however not an issue solely for the poor and as I have posted elsewhere today I treat more luxury places than lower end but that's often by virtue of travel exposure. The more travel the greater the risk.

Having read your an artist and might be looking for some exposure, I cant access your facebook but would suggest you look at reading up and seeking inspiration in art. There are a few cases of urban bedbug art in NY and they have often caught the medias attention. With the right information under your belt you can therefore communicate through art with people to learn not to make some of the common mistakes with bedbugs.

It its digital art that helps spread the clear message I will certainly do what I can to promote it.

Hope that gets you on the right path and that something good comes of it.

David

9. Rantin Raven

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 17:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

cool, thanks again! I was just looking on the subject of lavender oil in this forum...
    and yes, this is definitely an opportunity to make info-graphix on bedbugs.
    Education is the needed action to locate signs of bug defecation... had to make a rhyme, it's no crime!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 17:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Careful, the uptown massive might claim turf on bedbug raps and demand a spit off. I hear that MC Sorkin is a demon on the decks.

David

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 10:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Rantin,
    I hear where you're coming from.

While eggs aren't likely to be transported in that way, live bed bugs potentially could.
    I guess whether the two-week inspections have value or not depends on your landlord's skill and knowledge of bed bugs, since it's not a PCO doing the inspections.
    I can totally understand why this would be frustrating. My own landlord's people would be useless in this capacity.

Let us know if you need an outlet for your bed bug art.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982