Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Can Anyone Train Canines for Bed Bug Detection?

(8 posts)
  1. jetpak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 11:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in Indiana. I recently read a story about a woman who decided to train her own canines. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25148959/detail.html

Intuitively, it seems that if you were to look for a canine, the training would be an important factor in its effectiveness. Can we trust these individuals who do their own training and advertise their services?

And what about those training academies who don't make the news? We hear about several popular trainers in Florida, but nothing about Ironheart Dogs or David Latimer of the Forensic & Scientific Investigations and FSI K9 Academy. It is hard to differentiate between popular and reputable these days in the bed bug industry.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 13:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The reality is that technically anyone can train a dog, whether they get reliable results that are reproducable is a whole different matter.

I can only suggest you have a read of this thread:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/some-industry-advise-please

Certainly when we went down that path the concept of training ourselves was immediatly thrown out. I dont read a book on dentistry and start pulling my own teeth so I cant understand why people think they can train their own dog.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. DQ Pest Control

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 23:17:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I couldn't agree with you more. You can buy a scalpel, but it doesn't make you a surgeon. You can purchase a trap, but it doesn't make you an animal trapper. I wouldn't allow anyone to train a bedbug detection dog, who wasn't properly trained in canine scent detection training. Typically, these people who have the proper training have a police and or military background. The military and police use detection dogs routinely. A bed bug detection dog is trained the same way that a bomb dog is trained. The only difference is the odor that they are trained to alert on. In response to the post about David Latimer and the Forensic & Scientific Investigations Academy, I have had personal experience with David Latimer and his facility. David Latimer has military background and he is presently a police officer. David loves his work as a K9 trainer. He charges about half of what some of those guys in Florida charge to train dogs. I thought that this guy was great !!!

4. bedbug_OCD

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 23:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a K9 inspection that came up negative and now my mother is going to receive an inspection tomorrow. After doing some research the dog that did my inspection was trained at Florida Canine Academy by a Bill Whitstine. Have you guys heard of him? Is he a good trainer? I don't want to name the company were going through..

Thanks.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 0:42:19
    #

Login to Send PM

DQ Pest Control - 1 hour ago  » 
    A bed bug detection dog is trained the same way that a bomb dog is trained. The only difference is the odor that they are trained to alert on.

Not correct .. I don't see drug or bomb dogs getting fed for the alerts. They don't have to "alert" to eat.

The "normal" behavior is missing with food reward dogs, period. The system and training is flawed ... any true pest control professional with a conscience will tell you that.

6. DQ Pest Control

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 13:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

How is it that you know that drug and bomb dogs are not rewarded ? Are you involved in law enforcement ? David Latimer is the Chief of Police in Hapersville, Alabama and I know for fact that he trains the dogs that are used for law enforcement in the same manner that bed bug dogs are trained. The dogs are rewarded whether they are finding bed bugs, drugs, bombs or cadavers. My father was a detective in Nassau County, New York so I know the guys from the police K-9 teams and I know for a fact that they reward their dogs when they find their target odor. Nobody works for free including dogs. K-9 detection teams found ten bodies last year in the vicinity of Gilgo Beach, Long Island. I know for a fact that those dogs are food rewarded for finding the bodies.

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 14:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Call it what you want, say it how you will. ... I call it as I see it. The system is wrong more then its right. Proven to me countless times a year.

Your story is nothing new... A lot of these trainers have military and police backgrounds ... Means nothing to me. I get calls all the time from handlers pleading their case about how good they are, how good the trainer is. Bottom line, if they were not called into question so much we wouldn't have to disagree.

"Show me the bug" if you can't do that the inspection is useless.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 14:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

DQ Pest Control and all,

DQ, please note also that reviving threads which are a year old should not be done without a really good reason. The forum rules which I directed you to previously explain why.
    In future, please look at when the last posts were made. (You can see this next to each post, on the left.)

I am closing this thread. If you want to continue this discussion further, or discuss k9s generally, please go to the Official k9 industry thread. This thread was started because of the fact that k9 scent detection discussions tended to become quite heated. It gives industry pros a specific location for hashing things out and seems to have helped a lot. Check it out here.

You can always find the link to it from the "green sticky" posts at the top of the main forums page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie