Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Can anyone tell me if this is safe?

(12 posts)
  1. abitbugged

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 18:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a youtube video in which the author advocates ground up silica gel cat litter to kill bed bugs. He says it works.

Does anyone know if this ground up poweder could hurt pets eyes, lungs, etc? He says it has no quartz in it. I'm still a little worried about how it might hurt me or my pets.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

Thank you.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 18:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

This has been discussed here, though I can't find the thread. You're essentially making "DE", but risking exposure to an inhalation hazard as you do it. Besides, what equipment do you use to get it fine enough to work on BB? Do you have enough gel packets saved up to do this? I wouldn't bother?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 19:25:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I think there's something awfully weird about wasting a lot of time and energy (and possibly creating a danger to yourself and others) recreating a product which is available as cheaply and more easily ready-made. You can get a lot of food grade DE for $10 Canadian, and it's more easy to come by than lots of silica gel packets -- one comes free with each new pair of shoes!

It sounds downright loony, IMO, and I do not use the term lightly.

But maybe I am missing something?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. abitbugged

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 1:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I watched the whole video and he isn't using DE. He starts out saying dry cement in walls works, but don't put it where you can come into contact with it. Then aquarium de. Then grinding up the silica gel beads - which of course nobody is going to try and make enough powder from.

And THEN he moves onto the silica gel crystal cat litter. It isn't DE. It's something else, a non quartz based silica gel that he claims can't hurt anyone or it wouldn't be on the market. That is what he grinds up.

Fine poweder from it is already in cat litter, so it can't hurt pets. I see logic in that. There is dust at the bottom of the jar. And so cats are exposed to it.

I would like to know if any medical experts who come here know if this powder can hurt people or pets? Used with caution?

Thank you!!!

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 11:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a medical doctor.

My understanding is that silicosis is a generic term for any problem caused when substances like DE or silica dust are inhaled and get into the lungs. The resulting problems cannot be cured only treated.

Inhaling DE can cause silicosis. People act as if food grade DE is perfectly safe and couldn't possibly cause silicosis. However, the best evidence I can get my hands on is that when labs try to measure whether food grade (as opposed to pool grade) DE is safe, they must manufacture a pure stream of food grade DE themselves since the food grade DE they buy inevitably has some DE that is as rough as pool grade.

With the actual pure grade stuff, it is safe. But I'm betting that if labs must manufacture it for tests, that means that commercially available DE has enough variation that it isn't reliable.

As a result, I would be very wary of grinding up silica cat litter and using it as a desiccant. It's likely to produce the same kinds of problems as DE does--pool or food grade (and yes, there are technical terms for the difference, but I'm away from home, so I can't easily look those up.)

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 13:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

youtube = snake oil clearinghouse.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 13:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The best thing in this video is the way he keeps repeating "kill the little buggers". He doesn't seem to have anything to sell, so it's not clear why he made it. Sheer creativity? Stalking horse for landlords to point to and say "I don't have to pay for a PCO. This guy says I can grind up some 'ne mange pas'." Did the guy actually test his work long term and under varied circumstances? Note, that DE is a form of silica and "cements" do contain silica (and respiratory warnings). Others here have noted that animals live shorter lives than humans, so they may not live long enough to show the effects. Anyway, the right products are readily available, so why bother?

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 14:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

DO NOT ground up your own dusts... as NoBugs has pointed out... safe materials are available on the open market for a reasonable cost.

As BuggyinSoCal has pointed out the issue is silicosis. Even food grade labeled products can be problematic.

Grinding your own insecticidal dust is one of the worst ideas that I have seen for DIY pest control.

The video shows pool filter grade DE ... Really bad idea.

9. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 16:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I would stay away from making products at all costs. The products available on the market would be much safer to use, and most products are tested before they are sold on the open market.

10. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 21:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Silicosis is the disease that exposure to silica's cause. Since were all paranoid and want instant relief from these things hence people pile it on without knowing the facts. I pulled one quick excerpt out from the first link I found about this. None of the products in this video are should be ground up and used in a residence even the cat litter.

However, in the rarer form, called acute silicosis, [i]the symptoms develop very quickly after only a short period of exposure to high levels of silica dust.

In this acute form sufferers can sometimes die within a year. Acute silicosis occurs where exposures are the highest and can cause symptoms to within in a few weeks or up to 5 years

http://www.silicosis.com/symptoms/index.php

11. TThelp

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 21:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

WEIRDO! Did you read his captions? He misses the bbs and wants them to come back!!!!!! I personally dont want any of his advise!

12. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 22:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope they pull the video this one is almost as bad as the guy who who did his own thermal from a safety sense.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,742 posts in 49,538 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie