Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Can a stink bug throw off k9 scent detection?

(2 posts)
  1. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 5 2018 11:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The reason I ask this is that a k9 alerted to an area of my husband's truck. Visual confirmation was not given at the time, but my husband took out the car seat and found what he thought were bed bug eggs under it. Well, he examined more closely, found a dead stink bug on the floor of the truck in front of it, and upon "Googling" found that the hex shape of the eggs looked like stink bug eggs, not bed bug eggs. I guess it is still possible there was even one bed bug egg there, just seems weird that was the spot the dog alerted to and a dead stink bug was found.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 5 2018 12:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

It can be possible because there are some similarities in pheromone components. That's the reason for a visual verification of a canine alert.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,664 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me