Called the vet

(6 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 15:23:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So I called two vets about our three pets and how to best transfer them into our new place and here is the verdict:

--bed bugs do not infest animals, yes, I knew that.
    --bathe and brush the pets, yes, I knew that.
    --there is NO treatment, not even a flea bath, recommended that vets perform for this problem
    --no groomer will take in your pet if you tell them you have bed bugs
    --one vet was honest and said, because an animal can pick up a bed bug egg on its hair just by sitting on the ground in an infested location, they could not guarantee an animal bed bug free by treating it as the eggs are so sticky. didn't think about that, glad to hear someone say it though as I knew pets must be a greater risk than humans somehow in a move (i.e. we do not generally roll our heads around the carpet and treat our bedding frequently)

so....we have no idea what we will do in regards to especially our cats which must come with us. the flea powder was a joke to these bed bugs.

Amy

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 16:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

--one vet was honest and said, because an animal can pick up a bed bug egg on its hair just by sitting on the ground in an infested location, they could not guarantee an animal bed bug free by treating it as the eggs are so sticky.

I gues this one was honest, but totally incompetent about BBs problems.
    Bedbugs don't lay eggs on the ground, they stick them to rough surfaces in their harbourages.
    BBs eggs are "sticky" only while they're layed. The female cover them of a sticky substance, then they stick to surface immediatety and are hard to remove for a long long time.

didn't think about that, glad to hear someone say it though as I knew pets must be a greater risk than humans somehow in a move

Pets are not a great source of risk... where did you learn that?.

--there is NO treatment, not even a flea bath, recommended that vets perform for this problem

That's simply because it's not necessary... and vets are not competent about pest control treatments....

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 16:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Regardless of what the vet reckons, it is increadibly unlikely that a bedbug egg could be picked up on an animal's fur. They are not sticky at all. The female bug glues them to hard surfaces, usually in inaccessible crevices, where they dry within minutes. Once they are dry, the eggs are actually quite difficult to dislodge. Cats in particular tend to be very good at grooming themselves and so pose little risk of transferring bugs. Also, bedbugs don't cope at all well with hair and would find it very difficult to cling on.

The greatest risk by far is from your belongings, not your pets.

4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 16:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like we were typing at the same time. Sorry to repeat you EffeCi!

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 16:50:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's reassuring... experts from different parts of the world that say the same thing in the same time...
    It's a neat demonstration that the forum works well....

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 17:32:40
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks both of you! We are much less worried about our cats, which are not in the main source of infestation than our long haired border collie who we are trying to rehome for other reasons (no fenced in yard) who is getting bitten multiple times daily in the living room where they have exploded.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982