Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

California Landlord-Tenant Law is Crawling with New Statutes About Bed Bugs

(6 posts)
  1. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 13:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=338c58a3-2d25-48a4-9eb7-81b49d76baa6

New provisions governing landlord-tenant relationship and bedbugs came into force in California in Jan 2017. Main ones seem to be:

* NO RETALIATION: Landlords can't retaliate against tenants for reporting bedbug infestations (actually just clarifies existing law)
    * NO RENTING IF INFESTED: Landlords can't knowingly rent out, allow viewing of, etc, of an infested property
    * PROACTIVE COMMUNICATION: Landlords must inform all new tenants about how to identify and report bedbugs.
    * TRANSPARENCY: Landlords must provide PCO's report to affected tenants, and notify all tenants if common areas are infested.
    * COOPERATE WITH PCOs: Tenants must cooperate with PCOs who need to enter the property

Seems sensible, on the face of it?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 1:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes they do...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 15:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems great. Especially that all tenants get info about bed bugs, so landlords don't worry about seeming like they are the only property with concerns.

I feel for the landlords about #2 there, though. People get bed bugs and then just walk away, ALL THE TIME and it's virtually impossible to treat an empty apartment, from what I have heard. I wonder how many landlords have started walking away from this business.

4. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 17:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder how many landlords are following the law, especially owners of single condo units.

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 19:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

People get bed bugs and then just walk away, ALL THE TIME and it's virtually impossible to treat an empty apartment, from what I have heard.

I'm sure that's true but how many of these cases are people walking away after becoming infested through neighbors because the landlord isn't doing enough... I don't know the number but that was us.

6. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 0:34:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 4 hours ago  » 

People get bed bugs and then just walk away, ALL THE TIME and it's virtually impossible to treat an empty apartment, from what I have heard.

I'm sure that's true but how many of these cases are people walking away after becoming infested through neighbors because the landlord isn't doing enough... I don't know the number but that was us.

Isn't the empty apartment situation what active monitors like Nightwatch are for?

(Don't understand why it is so expensive though, it is basically no more than a mash-up of a heater and soda stream. )

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,596 posts in 46,831 topics over 143 months by 20,661 of 21,560 members. Latest: tbhno, idontlikebugssc, Wulfythekid