Bye bye, blood suckers! They're gone!

(4 posts)
  1. Bigsigh999

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 23:20:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 55 days since sighting a bug. This whole thing took 4 months, but now I'm sleeping easy. Here's what happened, and what I did...

I had a light infestation initially, but sloppy treatment from the pest control company hired by my apt management prolonged the problem. It took 4 treatments (2 heat, 2 chemical) before I had had ENOUGH of the bags, vacuuming, being bitten, and wondering when the next wave of bugs would appear. They were isolated to my bed frame: I didn't catch anything in the ClimbUps under my bed, but I was finding fecal traces and blood stains on my bed somewhat regularly. I laid down Cimexa in the cracks and crevices of my bed frame and along my baseboards, just to be safe. I taped up the holes in my bed frame as a method of prevention-- see my post history for more on that-- and I caught a few of them trapped beneath the tape! Like zombies behind glass for a final jump scare right at the end of the movie when the protagonists are finally going to make it out alright.

I cut my losses and discarded my cheap IKEA bedframe by disassembling it on top of a dropcloth, wrapping it in contractor bags, labeling it properly, and throwing it in the dumpster. I bought a cheap rickety metal cot frame for under $100 and I'm just going to keep it until I move later in the year. After I switched out the bedframe: NO BUGS. I'm checking for them a couple times a week, but there are no new signs.

No bugs for 6 weeks! About two weeks ago the pest control guy came in and cleared us to take our clothing out of bags and resume living normally. Let me tell you, this was like another wave of psychological terror. I thought: What if I had missed bugs, and taking this stuff out would unleash the problem again? I was really paranoid as soon as my clothing was all hung up in the closet. But really, I was diligent in drying the clothing the first time around, the giant ziploc bags were clean, and I maintained the order of "clean" vs. "possibly contaminated." Try to not worry so much when the time comes to de-bag. If it's been cleared by your PCO, you're fine.

I wish you all the best of luck. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I made it and so will you.

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 23:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay so happy for you! Thanks for sharing your story.

Account closed
  3. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 8:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

YAY!!! That's wonderful news. I'm so glad to hear this. We're having treatment #4 today. I swear, I'm so sick of living out of plastic bins & sealed bags. I've spent more money at the laundromat in the past month than I have in my entire life up until this point. Reading success stories gives me hope that this nightmare will one day be over for us.

Best of luck on continued bed bug free living

4. Tuper

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 13:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Success stories give me hope too!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula