Burt the bedbug

(4 posts)
  1. mm24

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 2:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey. So I have a captive bedbug living inside two Ziploc bags that are stuffed inside a sealed jar. I actually feel a bit bad keeping him there, living and slipping around on plastic with no where to hide. He has been in there for 26 days and is still alive!! How? I always thought they would at least suffocate after a while. He even suddenly has a poop in there with him, not sure what he has eaten. He freaks me out a little.

I know it sounds nuts but I am keeping him for proof in case my landlord stops cooperating with treatments (we've had two). I don't even know if we still have bedbugs. There has only been one person in my apartment bitten and that was discovered on same day we found the live bug. We have not seen a single sign yet.

I am worried my neighbors upstairs has them. I hear them tearing apart their apartment all night sometimes. The landlord says no one else reported bedbugs and they won't treat or inspect anyone else unless they make a report. We are the only ones in the history of the building (bult in the 60s) to have ever reported them. We live in an area known to have BB problems.

Anyway, that is my ramble. Thanks for listening.

PS. I am sleeping fine and hardly even paranoid.

2. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 7:07:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am curious what happened to Burt the Bedbug in the end? Did he die in the jar or still going strong? Wonder how long he'll make it, given that they can live on without food and fresh air for months or even for over a year in ideal circumstances. (Or maybe you threw him out already.)
    And how are you and your boy and your family, no new bedbugs ? ? And they are no longer importing furniture from the street I hope?

3. mm24

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 15:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey AliceAlarmed. Sorry I didn't see your post from a year ago. Burt the bedbug has passed, but he stayed alive for 3-4 months at least!! Every time I thought he was dead, I would tap the jar and he was alive. It is quite disturbing how long they can stay alive. Also update, we are still bedbug free, at least from what I can tell. I have some detectors set up but they have never caught anything.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 15:52:58
    #

Login to Send PM

3-4 months at room temp is quit normal for them to live without a blood meal, specially previously fed adults.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg