Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Build a pipe bed for a hundred bucks?

(6 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 0:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I may end up doing this. Its a bit of work, but as a cheap, metal and plastic, assemble and disassemble at will for inspection, this looks like a good jumping off point.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Hybrid-Pipe-Bed/

Note, theres some wood slats, but they seem replaceable and not integral to the piece, like they are with futons I have had.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Hybrid-Pipe-Bed/

Thoughts, buggers?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 2:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't avoid metal. Metal is often recommended as it often gives fewer harborages than wooden frames -- especially cheap wooden (or faux-wood) frames. They like to harbor in thin gaps.

On the other hand, hollow pipes too provide harborages -- and ones you can't easily inspect (beyond a certain depth) or treat. It seems like this might be problematic.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 3:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The type of material isn't as important as the texture of the surface and the presence of available hiding places for harborage of the bugs.

A hollow material must be perfectly sealed or it can provide a refuge in the interior of the material.

Wood can be finished with a perfectly smooth slippery coating that a bed bug cannot climb, but areas where the wood is joined, screw holes and other voids will still provide potential harborage.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 7:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Very similar design to the bed I sleep in but mine is a 4 poster heavy duty version.

The problem you have with metal alone is as others have said bedbugs can still get onto and into the frame where they are harder to deal with.

Like others have said you are better off with a light wooden bed which has been prepared to reduce potential refugia but is easy to inspect and detect.

The metal bed advice is one of the older pieces of bad advice if you ask me.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 8:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You state in your heading "Build a pipe bed for a hundred bucks?" but the article posted says the cost is $400:

"The total cost ended up being around $400 for the Kee Lite fittings, $100 for the EMT pipes, $20 for the leg caps, $30? for the wood slats."

Did I missing something?

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 14:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Far too many nice harborage junctions.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs