bugs or eggs in foam mattress?

(6 posts)
  1. lindabug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 0:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Can bed bugs or their eggs live in a foam mattress? Should I spray mattress before putting my new mattress cover on it? Or get rid of it and get a new one and encase it immediately?

2. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 5:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi lindabug and welcome!! The first thing you need to do is go out and purchase a high powered flashlight. If you have difficulty seeing in anyway, then purchase a magnifying glass. Even without one you will be able to see the buggers but not always with an untrained eye. If you never saw a nymph bedbug before or baby, they are very small like a pen dot. The eggs are very small as well and if the foam mattress is white, then it will take a trained eye to see it. Does your foam mattress have many folds in it or were certain areas meet that makes a crevice? If not then its not likely that there within the foam, but mabye in the furniture that the foam sits on. R u having a lot of activity? Bites, observing live bedbugs? If you are I wouldn't take this on by yourself. Even if you have bedbugs in the mattress.. if you put the protect a bed cover on and leave it for 3 months without taking it off... then the bugs inside if any at all will be dead by then and safe... Still don't take it off... You don't ahve to throw away the mattress... you can treat it... clean it.. and then encase it and save yourself some money... Is is a tempurpedic? Those things are very expensive and I wouldn't throw it away...

3. sleclair

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 11:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

hello!

when we had our PCO to visit, he told us that bedbugs really love foam (IKEA-style) mattresses, because they are easy for them to burrow through.

also! i had been told that bed bugs can live for a year without food, so three months of keeping the mattress encased isn't long enough...

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 16:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs don't "burrow" they hide in small gaps.

Depending on too many factors BBs can live for 18 months before starving to death.

Jim

5. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 18:39:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly... Bedbugs are not burrowing insects at all.. They don't have any type of teeth or claws or whatever they burrowing beetles use or termites or so on and so on lol... If its one of those cubeish on piece foam mattresses from idea I wouldn't think a bedbug would like the foam mattress due to the lack of creases around the mattress, there more like cubeish not like pillow top stiched, then followed by the body, then box spring yet they still could be on the bottom or were the mattress rests against the frame. Your being given false information by somebody who does absolutly no bedbug work... Ask him what the chemical in his spray can is... The real name, not the name on the bottle.. Ask him how it works or how long it lasts. Better yet, ask him what his name is or the compnay he works for..... uh... "were a bug company."

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 20:29:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have an Ikea foam mattress and the cover it came with. I had to buy a protector because I'm allergic to dust mites. So, not much help here...interesting to see the answer...I've heard they don't like latex but just that means they will be somewhere else...

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail