Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bugs ID'd as Psocids - can I treat infested items with ZapBug?

(7 posts)
  1. confusednyc

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 19:45:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all-

The other week, I posted here in panic when I thought I had bedbugs - people here were very helpful and kept me calm. First, thanks.

My building's exterminator has now identified the bugs I saw as psocids / book lice, and I have seen additional live ones in some books I had resting on my floor and family papers I have in my TV cabinet.

I'm doing what I need to do to kill the psocids (lowering humidity in my apartment, etc.), but I'm curious...

...can I use my Zapbug heater to process any items that may have psocids in them? Does Zapbug get hot enough to kill both psocids and their eggs?

I'll do what I have to do, of course - but... damn, it would be painful to throw out books and papers I"ve kept for 30 years.

Please let me know what you think - thanks!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 22:51:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Paper is a great insulator, you may just want to inspect manually.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 3:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Absolutely not.

Pscocids are an indicator species of damp issues, running a heater in the home will only add to that dampness.

Fix the actual issue and the secondary issue of pscocids will also resolve.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. confusednyc

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 6:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi both-

Thanks, but i'm not sure I understand...

I live in an apartment in NYC.

I'm not talking about heating the entire apartment - just putting any books with psocids into the ZappBug to heat and kill them.

I'm trying to lower the humidity with a humidifer, but it's been 90 here and the humidifier puts out heat as well. When I'm home I run the air conditioners as well.

Aside from some condensation on one air condition (it's a PTAC), I'm not aware of any dampness issues.

Any suggestions?

I guess what I'm saying is, some of the books that have psocids are important to me - how can (can) I save them?

Thanks all!

-Ian

5. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 6:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you dry them in the sun? Afterwards you could put the books in moisture proof containers with lids.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 8:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You can transfer the books to a container where you can regulate the moisture in the same way a library would and thus kill the mold spores and the source of the food for the pscocids. In fact looking at that via google is your next move, or should now be.

However, continuing to use the AC unit and any internal heater will as I have said add to the moisture issue and thus add to the issue which feeds the pscocids. It's a food chain model and until you see it in its complete cycle you should do nothing.

Moisture occurs in homes because of a lack of ventilation as well the indoor use of heating devices (all heating devices which by default means all devices). The exception to this is penetrating damp which comes from the outside of the property.

In most cases damp gets out of control because people think they are doing the right things when its often having the opposite effect.

Best to understand exactly what is going on before trying to resolve it.

David

7. confusednyc

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 1 2019 5:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone-

Thanks for your advice and I'll look into it. I can't figure out what (either than NYC summer) could be causing this humidity but I'll ask my building super and try to look around.

I have humidity monitors, and it swings between about 45 and 60 percent daily. My PCO recommended humidifiers, but I can totally see how that would heat up the apartment as well and have a negative effect.

Quick question about paper boxes with dessicants - would that kill psocid eggs as well? Or for smaller items, does the microwave trick (high on 40 seconds) actually work

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956