Bugged in Louisville, KY

(7 posts)
  1. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 21:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into an apartment in Louisville about a month ago. The first 2-3 weeks, no problems. Then somewhere into week 3 I started getting mosquito-esque bite marks on me. Just a couple on one arm, then a couple more, then one or two showed up on my face. Once that happened, I started looking for the culprit. I saw this odd little bug near my headboard and I grabbed it with some tissue and squished it. When I saw the blood, I knew I was in trouble. After some googling, I realized I had bed bugs. After a little more googling, I knew exactly how much trouble I was in.

Having only lived there for approximately a month, I am seriously thinking I should just abandon and run. It would mean breaking my lease but it seems worth it to me. I am not established in this place and if I can salvage and get out now... why should I stay and fight a battle that isn't mine? These bugs were there before me. Knowing what to look for now, I can see where some were painted over on the walls and I can see the fecal spotting scattered around the bedroom.

So, any legal advice as far as getting out of my lease and/or the responsibility of the property owners to take care of this situation? I've notified them of the bug problem, the PCO came today and inspected and then forwarded the bedbug checklist to me. I'm happy to sanitize my items and then cut bait and run. Also, what are the chances of me salvaging my couch and overstuffed chair and ottoman? I really don't want to lose those thanks to buggy hijackers. Are there solutions to killing off any inhabitants on those?

Thanks!
    ~ Lindsey

2. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 14:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: After my attorney father and I spoke with the leasing office, it appears that I have a verbal commitment to let me out of my lease. I'm giving them the chance to treat my apartment and my furniture if possible but I am rather sure I just want out.

Also, I am looking at storage units to put my furniture in on a temporary (but rather long term) basis in order to prevent contaminating my parents' house when I move back with them. Is it possible to vikane all my items while they are in the box moving truck? If that is the case, perhaps I can kill off anything living on them before I even transport them home.

So my situation is looking a bit brighter, hopefully. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that life doesn't take another downhill turn and that no bugs show up at my parents' home...

~ Lindsey

3. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 15:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Lindsey,
    Smart move to get out now and vikane your belongings.See if your lawyer(father) can negoitiate with them to pay for it.They are slime and if he can get the to pay,maybe they'll think twice about renting an obviously infested apt.If I was your lawyer father,I would for sure have them pay for the vikane treatment,since you had no bugs before moving in.If you don't vikane you can expect to wait 18 mon. for your stuff to be safe to bring to your parents house.Good luck

4. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 2:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Lindsey - Even if you cannot get LL to pay for Vikane treatment, if it is available in your area, I would do it anyway. The bugs are difficult and expensive to get rid of no matter what you do and it is worth the money to be relatively sure you've done it. This is NOT the time to cut costs if you have any option whatsoever. Like, if the difference means not gifting them to your parents. Or not keeping your things in storage for 18 months.

5. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 12:07:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Any idea of the cost of small scale vikane treatments? Like for the size of a box truck and/or my own car? I've been trying to find someone locally who does it but no luck so far. However, I've been spending more time figuring out what I can do to decontaminate my household items on my own. However, I know my furniture is either getting wrapped up and placed in storage or is getting gassed. One way or another, I am going to do everything I can think of to reduce the risk of the bugs coming home with me.

6. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2008 21:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So probably 98% of my clothes are out of my apartment. The majority of them are bagged tightly in plastic in the garage until I have time to do a good washing. My sheets, comforter, etc. have all been washed in hot water and dried on high heat. I was concerned about what might happen to my down filled comforter but it seems to have survived not much worse for wear, thank goodness.

I have a couple of leather items that I am moving out soon and was curious about what measures I could take to decontaminate them without ruining the leather. Any suggestions? I'm still looking into the vikane for anything and everything I can fit into the box truck, however, I haven't had much luck getting a response from our local PCO's. My dad called around for me today while I was at work and he said he only got answering machines. Still keeping my fingers crossed that I'll manage to get someone to do that at a price I can afford...

7. vsid

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 10:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Lindsay, I'm moving back home to Louisville from NJ and am interested in having all my belongings fumigated with Vikane in the moving truck. Did you ever find any local companies in Louisville who do this?

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982