Bug (not BB) able to move in ClimbUp interceptor

(10 posts)
  1. suspicious

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 10:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I put down the ClimbUp Insect Interceptors on my daugther's bed about four days ago. As I was mopping her bedroom floor an insect (not a BB) dropped off the mop into the outer well of one of the interceptors. I had held the mop up in the air so not to touch the interceptor.

This insect was able to run laps around the interceptor with no problem but not able to climb up the plastic walls.

My concern is that if this insect had fallen into the inner well it would have easily climbed out using the wooden bed leg.

Photo of bug below.

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/suspiciousandwatching/?action=view&current=002-7.jpg

Granted, this is not a BB and perhaps the anatomy is different in such a way that this bug is able to literally run in the interceptor while a BB would not be able to move (like I had thought) due to the powder sticking to the feet.

Is this the case? Or, should I assume that since this bug can move around the interceptor that a BB could? If so, then BB's could (in my opinion) climb out of the inner well while only getting stuck in the outer well.

I am curious to hear from others if they have experience with this or if there are any bug experts that can explain why this bug can move around the interceptor while a BB couldn't.

I am not overly worried because I don't think I have BB's but want to 100 percent sure I don't. However, I would like to know if I ever need to use these interceptors in the future to capture a live sample.

I, also, felt it was important since this is a fairly new product that others are looking into buying and using.

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 11:02:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Some species of insects climb on smooth surfaces and some don't. BBs don't.
    The "bug" in your pic is (no doubts) a rove beetle (family Staphilinidae) and its presence in home is occasional...

3. suspicious

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 11:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

So, that means this rove beetle can climb up smooth surfaces while BB's can't. I was wondering if it wasn't the case.

That is good and means the interceptor doesn't what it is should do.

I am finding all kinds of bugs in my home for about a month now and I am very clean. We do have a humidity problem in this building with work being done on the roof to solve it. We live on the fourth floor with only one floor between us and the roof. I sometimes wonder if the workers aren't disturbing a complete insect zoo up there that is escaping down to us? Too bad for all the insects that my cat is more than happy to say hello!

4. suspicious

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 11:13:13
    #

Login to Send PM

That is good and means the interceptor doesn't what it is should do.

I meant that it does do what it should do.

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 11:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The presence of rove beetles is tipically related with high humiditiy....

6. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 13:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for this post, suspicious, i've been hoping to hear some feedback on these. we're hoping that our bites have been just mosquito bites, but are planning on installing the interceptors to help monitor. have you had to reapply the talc yet? i'm wondering how often the reapplication will be necessary.

7. suspicious

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 13:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Lilbitobsessed!

I haven't had to reapply the talc yet since I have only had them down for about four days now.

From what I read in the directions that came with the product you need to reapply the talc when the interceptors get dirt or dust inside as well as when you clean bugs out of them. So, I must reapply talc to the interceptor that I rescued the beetle from. I'll do that in the next few days after I have bought some talc.

It looks really easy to do from the video I watched. Here is a link to it below.

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/video/Rid_of_Bed_Bugs.shtml

Good luck to you and I, too, hope that your bites are another insect.

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 13:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks! keep us updated as to how you are getting along with them, if you can? it's good to know of someone else who is also using them.

9. wirehead

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 14:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm about to order a set of them, too. FWIW I just asked in another thread (over here) about whether BB could just climb back up the bed legs from the inner well, and the verdict seems to be that they probably could. So it's probably more effective at keeping them off than on, but again, that's why it's a monitoring tool and not an eradication tool I suppose!

10. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 14:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah, good point wirehead. my plan is to steam the bed (and frame) like a madwoman first, and then install the interceptors. that way if there is anything residing *outside* the bed that i haven't found, i'll have a decent chance at catching them. unless they come from the ceiling of course, in which case all bets are off. guess i'll be doing weekly steamings for the next little while. at least until we figure out whether or not we even HAVE them. stupid, stupid hotel. *sigh*

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen