Bug identification

(6 posts)
  1. bitesbytes

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 11:26:35
    #

Login to Send PM

About 2 months ago, I found a bed bug in my bed. Pest control came the next day and sprayed where my bed was (was sitting on floor on boxsprings, no frame, already had mattress covers on the mattress and box spring), along the wall, and the area where the bed was sitting. They told me to contact them in a week and they would come back and see if there were any signs of any skins or live bugs. They came back about 12 days later and the guy checked my bed and the wall where it was, saw no signs. Checked my kids beds, again no signs. Barely checked my couches. When I initially was being bitten, I had hive reactions. From the first bite to when I found the bug, it was 2 weeks and only 4 bites total.

Fast forward to today when I found this bug on top of my sons mattress. I caught it with a piece of tape. It did not try to run away so I’m hopeful that it is not another bed bug.

Also, is it possible to get rid of them with one treatment? I have bagged up everything, been washing blessing every couple of days, vacuuming at least once a week, and using Diatomaceous Earth on the baseboards. I also disposed of the original mattress covers on my bed and my kids beds.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/162458811@N07/o94Un2

https://www.flickr.com/gp/162458811@N07/vY58Z3

2. lsdrg706

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 11:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

That actually looks like a human louse. Wait for expert to confirm though. Not a bedbug.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 12:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming is a louse but its not clear what type it is. As some lice species have specific habitats (subject to deforestation) it can be a delicate issue to bring up and I would start by assuming head lice.

Good luck, just don't ask me to tell the story of the bald rabbi and his boyfriend who turned up at my office one day vexed with the same issue.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. bitesbytes

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 12:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk, I want to add that my son is 8 and my daughter is 4.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 12:41:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not a problem, in which case check heads, vacuum surfaces they sleep or sit on (things with headrests or arm rests they lean on).

Once under control communicate what works to other parents and stop the spread. In that respect they are similar to BB’s and the long term solution comes through herd immunity through awareness.

David

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Dec 5 2018 11:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

bitesbytes - 23 hours ago  » 
    About 2 months ago, I found a bed bug in my bed. Pest control came the next day and sprayed where my bed was (was sitting on floor on boxsprings, no frame, already had mattress covers on the mattress and box spring), along the wall, and the area where the bed was sitting. They told me to contact them in a week and they would come back and see if there were any signs of any skins or live bugs. They came back about 12 days later and the guy checked my bed and the wall where it was, saw no signs. Checked my kids beds, again no signs. Barely checked my couches. When I initially was being bitten, I had hive reactions. From the first bite to when I found the bug, it was 2 weeks and only 4 bites total.
    Fast forward to today when I found this bug on top of my sons mattress. I caught it with a piece of tape. It did not try to run away so I’m hopeful that it is not another bed bug.
    Also, is it possible to get rid of them with one treatment? I have bagged up everything, been washing blessing every couple of days, vacuuming at least once a week, and using Diatomaceous Earth on the baseboards. I also disposed of the original mattress covers on my bed and my kids beds.

It looks like a female human head louse. No reason to treat any of the rooms, but please check children's and maybe your heads. Check out this organization https://www.headlice.org/ for information. Are your children at daycare, school or with other children?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

289,775 posts in 48,424 topics over 150 months by 21,317 of 21,693 members. Latest: Dingo50, annastl, jeezlouise