Bug ID Please! I have a feeling that is... [a: female odd beetle]

(9 posts)
  1. nosigntilnow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2015 18:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

A few hours ago I saw this bug on my wall. I have not seen any other common signs mention on this site and other sources anywhere. I have seen the occasional varied carpet beetle though. I have a feeling this may be a bug bed based on photos but not sure. Please prove me wrong!

image by ever.yone, on Flickr

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2015 19:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear nosigntilnow,

Let's not panic yet! That's a really hard one and I think you're going to have to wait for an expert for ID. While it does look like a bed bug . . . it also (to me) looks a lot like a female odd beetle. . . . Let’s wait and see what Lou, Paul or one of the other experts says!

If it were a bed bug, it would be a really well-fed bed bug, and it looks like you squashed it. Did any blood come out when you squashed it?

I'm really leaning toward not a bed bug . . . but the pictures are not very good and we need an expert on this one!

Here’s a comparison of your bug with fed bed bugs and female odd beetles. Look at the head area, it looks different from a bed bug to me.
    BB-FOB COMPARISON by picture account2012, on Flickr

But, I’m not a professional nor expert, please wait for definitive ID from one.

EXPERTS . . . where are you?!

3. nosigntilnow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2015 19:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply! Yes I did squash it but no blood came out. Just a faint yellowish discoloration on the tissue I used to to squashed it (you can see it on the fourth photo).

Looking at the photo you posted, the female odd beetle looks very similar to what I squashed. I have found a few varied carpet beetles in my room before. Are female odd beetles related to varied carpet beetles?

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2015 0:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, showing comparative side by side photos, great job abs !

Dear nosign,

If you check out the photos posted above you will see that there are differences in the morphology between these critters.

Based upon your photos provided, the physical structure of the head and antennae appear to be different than that of a genuine bed bug. As such, your critter is likely not a bed bug.

pjb

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2015 16:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

AbFr,
    Nice job!
    I don't hear Paul confirming female odd beetle, so let's wait for Lou or another expert to confirm (title duly changed), but it does look like a good ID to me.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 19:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Confirming female odd beetle. Basically only superficially resembles bed bug. But a very good one! Abs is right on point.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 20:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....Abs is great...kinda the Marsha Brady of Bedbugger.com......

Seriously, nice work, Abs.... a picture is worth a 1,000 words

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 9:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

nosigntilnow -  » 
    I have a feeling this may be a bug bed based on photos but not sure. Please prove me wrong!

There you go nosigntilnow . . . per your request . . . you’ve been proven wrong!

P Bello -  » 
    Wow, showing comparative side by side photos, great job abs ! . . . Based upon your photos provided, the physical structure of the head and antennae appear to be different than that of a genuine bed bug. As such, your critter is likely not a bed bug.

Thanks for the compliment and your input Paul Bello!

Nobugsonme -  » 
    AbFr, Nice job! . . . but it does look like a good ID to me.

Thanks Nobugs!

loubugs -  » 
    Confirming female odd beetle. Basically only superficially resembles bed bug. But a very good one! Abs is right on point.

Thank you for the confirmation Lou! . . . and I like your terminology . . . next time there is a female odd beetle that I ID I will say “although it superficially resembles a bed bug” . . . PERFECT!

theyareoutthere -  » 
    Abs is great...kinda the Marsha Brady of Bedbugger.com......

LOL TAOT . . . but wouldn’t that technically be Nobugs?!

Thanks everyone for the input/confirmation . . . and congrats to you nosigntilnow for being proved wrong and your bug being a female odd beetle . . . . which superficially resembles a bed bug! (Right Lou?!)

9. nosigntilnow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 23:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been proven wrong! Thanks everyone, this has been a big reassurance!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie