Bug ID, please help! [a: book lice]

(4 posts)
  1. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2016 13:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've found another group of bugs in my bedroom. Since it's so close to my bed, I want to verify that they are not bed bug nymphs. I killed about 10 of them. They're all about 1/16 of an inch.

The pics:
    Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(Ps: my landlord seems to think that these are MY fault. If it's book lice, is he right? I'm trying to get someone to come out and spray but I don't want to pay for it if it's the building's problem and not something I introduced.)
    Thanks ya'll!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2016 14:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bugs, 99.99% book lice.

They are usually an indication of excess moisture supporting a growth of fungal spores which the book lice eat. As such treatment is about resolving the damp not the book lice.

I have written more about them in the advanced educational al section of my website.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2016 15:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

They're book lice.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2016 18:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    100% not bed bugs, 99.99% book lice.
    They are usually an indication of excess moisture supporting a growth of fungal spores which the book lice eat. As such treatment is about resolving the damp not the book lice.
    I have written more about them in the advanced educational al section of my website.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

David, thank you so much for alleviating my stress.
    Do you happen to know if this is from the building or something that I brought into the apartment? I infer from your post that the former is true, given it's dampness that's the issue.
    I ordered a dehumidifier. They sprayed and they seem to be gone for now.
    I wonder if it's just old, damp wood from the rain?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto