Bug ID please [a: nothing bed bug related] added: Q about moths

(9 posts)
  1. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 14:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My clothes have these little 'pills' all along the seams that cause major discomfort even after washing in hot water and drying for longer than normal. I am the only one in the house that is reacting to what I believe is carpet beetle larvae hair. This is very upsetting as I cant afford to buy all new clothes. I am very overwhelmed trying to manage this on my own, i live in a rather small condo with my boyfriend and my father. Both of them are visually impaired, my boyfriend has glasses with an old prescription and my dad is practically blind, doesn't have glasses and is way to something to amit it. Neither of them clean very well and my dad hasn't renovated or cleaned this place ever. He has lived here for at least 16 or more years and my boyfriend and I moved in 4 years ago to help pay the bills after my dads struggle with throat cancer.
    Anyways, long story short... I adopted my cat shortly after moving in 4 years ago and he didn't seem to have issues until a couple months ago when all this mess started screwing up my life.
    I have recently seen a few moths fly out of the laundry that were gold and one small dark moth. I have seen black beetles at the edge of the carpet. I know there is mold in the bathroom and carpenter ants in the exterior walls of the wood condo building. When I am in the bathroom i feel stabbing sensations but after spraying vinegar and water over everything i feel ok for a bit. My dad saw the cat scratching and I showed him my rash or bites on my arms and legs and chest and he thought it was fleas. so recently i bagged up the laundry and yarn i had out of my plastic bins and vacumed over and over, we gave advantage to my cat and used a spray to kill fleas.
    Its been a couple weeks and it's as if we did nothing. My cat is still scratching and shaking his ears and moves slowly around and only comes in my room to eat then leave where before he never left my side he was almost always in my room with me.
    I have an expensive yarn stash that I have recently discovered has been compromised by something.
    I am there's more... My head is spinning thinking about all this.
    I hope someone can identify the things in the pictures...
    My boyfriend is having a very hard time dealing with me because he is grossed out by bugs and doesn't seem to react to them and they have only eaten small holes in a few of his things, and my dad is about to loose this place for not working for the past long time for whatever reason and is outwardly very annoyed by my efforts to improve this hell.
    That being said I could really use some support from whoever is willing to give it. I will try to upload a few pictures...
    Thank you for your time, Cherie.

2. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 14:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted that without pictures. I have to figure out how to do that

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 15:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Use a picture hosting site such as Flickr or Photobucket, etc. Your cat could have fleas and/or ear mites. A veterinarian would be useful. You have a lot going on in your home and not all reactions can be attributed to only one thing and might be inter-related.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 15:20:11
    #

Login to Send PM

pictures

I hope this works... It should send you to an album with a bunch of pics...

Also I forgot to say that my boyfriend and I are in the process of finding a place to rent we need to get out of here but don't want to bring any bugs with us. I suspect i need to throw away my bed and have already thrown out our couch. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

5. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 15:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply loubugs. I have posted a link to some pictures.... Thanks again.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 17:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd say that the items pictured are twisted fibers and other debris. There might be a beetle in one picture. The sensations that you experience might be allergic reaction to some materials, maybe fibers, particulate matter, but no biting type insects or mites are present in the pictures. So far you're tossing things out needlessly based on lack of evidence.

7. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 18:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will take my cat to the vet and ask about fleas or ear mites and speak to someone about allergies.

Thanks again, Cherie.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 5:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My cat is still scratching and shaking his ears and moves slowly around
    Many cats with ear mites will be shaking their ears and heads. I've seen many cases while working in a veterinary clinic. There are drops that work well to clear it up.

9. Cherie5

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 17:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope this is acceptable to ask another question as a reply....
    I am thankful for loubugs taking the time to reply to me and I do respect the advice given. I have discovered something that may or may not make sense...

I am in the process of rewinding my yarn that has had some bug chewing on parts of it, picking off the cacoon like balls and white little fluff balls that have made there way throughout a lot of my yarn stash. I have encountered a few of these balls that feel like im holding little balls of acid and some cause a burning sensation or a scratchy feeling, similar to the way my clothes pills feel. I have found that blasting each skien with hot blow dryer seems to make the yarn feel normal (soft and fluffy without and discomfort) and i feel itchy im thinking from the fibers being blown out of the yarn and into the air.
    Could beetles or moths leave these cacoon like things in the yarn and in my clothes along the seams?

Thank you in advance, Cherie.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982