Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID Please

(5 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 9:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Checking son's bed this morning and found this on the floor near his bed. It was very shiny, like beetles I'd found. It is also tiny and broke when I picked it up. Can anyone ID this from the parts? I am thinking it is a beetle, but worry because of the horizontal stripes.

https://imgur.com/a/BYqLK

Thank you.

2. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 10:05:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Other side of bug. https://imgur.com/a/KGShT

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 15:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 5 hours ago  » 
    Checking son's bed this morning and found this on the floor near his bed. It was very shiny, like beetles I'd found. It is also tiny and broke when I picked it up. Can anyone ID this from the parts? I am thinking it is a beetle, but worry because of the horizontal stripes.
    Other side of bug.
    Thank you.

Looks like beetle. People don't understand the horizontal stripes. Insects have segmented abdomens, so basically all have horizontal stripes because the abdomen is composed of segments.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 21:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. I thought that, but usually on beetles I don't see the segmented abdomen so clearly. This was so tiny that it was really hard for me to tell. Thanks for the ID.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 23:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks, Lou. I thought that, but usually on beetles I don't see the segmented abdomen so clearly. This was so tiny that it was really hard for me to tell. Thanks for the ID.

Wing covers and wings hide the abdomen from the top view. So you don't see the stripes. Turn it over and you'll see the stripes. Bed bugs have stubby front wings (hemelytra) so you can see the dorsal surface of the abdomen.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,943 posts in 45,404 topics over 138 months by 19,949 of 20,709 members. Latest: trailblazer, Bostonbugs1994, jtihonly