Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID please!

(14 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 14:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what this is and I am really freaking out. Can someone please please identify this? Also, is this a shell or casting or full bug??

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/26/photo7xk.jpg

Please reply !!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 14:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear imscared,

Holy crap, get out of the house at once, the calls are coming from the upstairs phone ! ! !

Ooops, sorry, that's another movie isn't it.

OK, the good news is that your photo does NOT look like a BB. The bad news is your photo isn't a great photo but good enough to tell that it PROBABLY is not a bed bug.

The photo appears to be the shed skin of a carpet beetle type critter.

If you can post a better photo that would be great.

Let me know if any other questions or concerns.

Hope this helps, paul b.

3. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 15:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply paul. Here is another high res (I think) photo from a different angle.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7435/photo8v.jpg

I need some advice from experts like you and I will post my question in another thread. Thank you for your ID.

Could others also please have a look and give their opinion? Thank you very much for your time.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug most likely isopod or carpet beetle larval skin I can quite tell on phone.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with David, and my vote is for "isopod" ...

6. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David and Effeci! I just saw the photos (horrific indeed) and I remember picking up something and thought to myself (that looks like a frog insect!) and then a sudden panic struck me and I dropped it

Are they pests? How did I get them?

Edit:
    Never mind: I looked at the giant isopod and got it all confused. As long as it's not bed bugs I am sure you can hear my sigh of relief. I am just puzzled how I am getting insects all of a sudden, it's like a curse! I still have part of my bed to inspect and i am in no physical or mental wellness to do that right now.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome back good Sir, are you connected to the Matrix again?

David

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Neither are pests of public health significance in low numbers.

A good deep clean and lowering of anxiety about bedbugs would seem the most appropriate solution.

David

9. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Still wi-fi connected,Morpheus, but I was missing this place too much...

10. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 minute ago  » 
    Neither are pests of public health significance in low numbers.
    A good deep clean and lowering of anxiety about bedbugs would seem the most appropriate solution.
    David

Thank you David, you're a star! Could you please check out the thread I PMed you about when you get time?

I am so grateful for the members and this forum... before this paranoia I didn't know anything about BBs (chose not to) but now thanks to experts here, I know quite a lot now except for ID-ing of course... that's where bedbugger comes to the rescue

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 22:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{EffeCi}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

(That's a welcome back hug!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 9:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

It's too bad your picture is clear, but the specimen is in or under the plastic material. Can it be turned over? Actually there are giant isopods, but not terrestrial ones. See this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod
    Aquatic isopods (amphipods are something else and are aquatic) look like small, gray toys. They live in certain oceans, typically deep sea inhabitants, and are more or less 12 inches long as an adult. I've examined specimens. The isopods we refer to on this board are those creatures that are approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 11:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Loubugs,

I have gotten more photos from the specimen (one of them is higher res of the first one)
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4387/photo4jxu.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2295/photo7ank.jpg

After few more hours of poking around near the area, I found a live sample of what-i-believe is carpet beetle larvae from a very narrow inaccessible area. I will post the photo later for confirmation, but I saw it wriggling when I flashed light over it, and I then devised a lengthy apparatus (god..) using ear buds with tape at one end and carefully pulled it up. It tried crawling away really fast, but I eventually (almost 40 minutes later??) took it.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 12:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That image is a beetle larval skin 100% so I think you need to focus on braciating urticaria as the issue you have and not bedbugs.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas