Bug ID please [paging Lou: bat, bird or bed bug?]

(10 posts)
  1. country bugaboo

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 13:05:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug id? Our county entomologist sent us these 2 slides after we brought in this sample bug we found in our house. They are the same bug, just on different backgrounds. We have a history of bedbugs (2.5 years ago), but we also have bats in our woodshed (which is attached to the house) and Black phoebes (flycatcher family) currently nesting on the side of the house. Input appreciated!

bug white background by Orti Galita, on Flickr

bug black background by Orti Galita, on Flickr

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 13:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So you want to confirm whether it is a bat bug or bed bug?

I think you're going to need one of the professional/experts to weigh in on that!

However, the rule of thumb I have read is that if the hair follicles on the pronotum are longer than the width of the eye = bat; if they are shorter = bed bug.

Again, wait for one of the experts!

(I've also sent you a PM.)

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 13:50:35
    #

Login to Send PM

cb: Our county entomologist sent us these 2 slides after we brought in this sample bug we found in our house.
    ------------------
    Did the entomologist offer an ID?

Richard

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 13:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Also where in the house did you find the bugs? Any other signs such as fecal stains? Do you have monitors in place? Getting bites? Recent travel, etc.?

Richard

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 14:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 -  » 
    Did the entomologist offer an ID?

Of course he or she did (or at least I'm guessing they did) . . . and that OP is wanting to confirm / verify their ID.

. . . am I right country bugaboo

6. country bugaboo

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 14:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I found the bug in the kitchen. We vacated the house for 2 1/2 years and are preparing to move back in. Still haven't spent the night there. I found the live bug whilst cleaning up all the old DE and dust. We had a Night Watch monitor in place for 4 days and only caught a spider. Also sticky traps. Then I found this. The entomologist says it is a swallow bug, but we have Black phoebes, not swallows. I don't think they're even in the same family. We do have bats though, and a history of bed bugs. I thought someone more familiar with Cimex could help, as it's a mater of measuring hairs, kind of like splitting them.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 9 2015 14:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

CB: I found the bug in the kitchen. We vacated the house for 2 1/2 years and are preparing to move back in.
    -----------------------
    That's an interesting piece of info. I wouldn't at all venture a visual ID on the bug, but from what you say, give more hope to not a bed bug because I would think that after 2.5 years they would have died of starvation or vacated. I'm assuming no one else had been living in the house?

AF: Of course he or she did (or at least I'm guessing they did) . . . and that OP is wanting to confirm / verify their ID.
    --------------
    I know that but always good to have as much information as possible for the experts here to mull over. Don't you agree? Keep in mind that the entomologist actually saw the bug as opposed to a picture, and what they saw, according to the OP is not a bed bug.

Richard

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 10 2015 12:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be a bird bug, but it's easier to tell from an adult. This is a nymph. Let me look into it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. country bugaboo

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 10 2015 13:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much. I thought it was a nymph, because when I first caught it was clear with a red dot in the middle (I think my blood from a couple of hours previous). It was still alive, sandwiched between two pieces of saran wrap; every couple of hours I'd check it with the loupe. Eventually the blood moved through the bug and the carapace turned light brown. At which point it died.

I'm also interested in knowing about how specific a bird host needs to be? At least the same scientific family I think.

10. country bugaboo

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 1:33:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Can bedbugs be hosted by bats? If so, for how long exclusively? We had bugs biting us when we left the house. Could the bats host bed bugs, and for 2 1/2 years? Could they host swallow bugs in the same manner?

Any progress on the photo ID?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123