Bug ID Please! [a: male bed bug or closely related]

(7 posts)
  1. sleeplessinme

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

A few days ago, I updated a post I made detailing my experience with a biting insect at night. The update was basically to state that I had found a bug, and at the time I was very convinced that it was an adlut bed bug (dorsoventrally flattened, horizontal ridges across the abdomen, short antennae, true bug, red-brown in color). However, after scouring my room--pulling apart my box spring, pulling up the carpet, separating the faux-wood paneling from my wall--I found no other evidence of bed bugs. I had planned on posting pictures to begin with, especially after I was reminded by other bedbuggers just how important it really is, but now I feel like I need help more than ever. It's obvious that the one bug that I found was not solely responsible for all my grief (after more than 2 months of bites and bites continuing after I caught it), but I'm truly at a loss as to what to do.

So, without further ado, here is my captive:
    IMG_20150506_154820 by sleeplessinme2015, on Flickr
    IMG_20150506_154611 by sleeplessinme2015, on Flickr
    IMG_20150506_154625 by sleeplessinme2015, on Flickr
    [code]IMG_20150506_154753 by sleeplessinme2015, on Flickr[code]

I know the pictures aren't that great, and the bug isn't in the best condition either, after a few days in the freezer, but I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I really appreciate it!

2. sleeplessinme

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit: I posted the HTML code, like a fool. BBcode is up now, and should be working.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 19:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleep: However, after scouring my room--pulling apart my box spring, pulling up the carpet, separating the faux-wood paneling from my wall--I found no other evidence of bed bugs.
    ------------------
    Didn't see your other thread, but have you set up a monitoring system? Both Paul and Lou
    have some good ideas here that you can put together right away.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget
    Also see FAQ's for ClimbUp Interceptors and DIY ClimbUps.

Also, what about possible local source issues such as work, a vehicle, a neighbor, a visitor, etc.

And finally, when an expert does come around to ID the bug, the possibility of bat bugs or bird bugs also exists.

Richard

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 19:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear sleeplessinme,

As Richard56 "alluded" to above . . .

I'm sorry, but yes, that does appear to be a bed bug or close relative.

Please wait for 100% confirmation from one of the experts/pros though.

In the meantime, be careful with your specimen . . . You said you put it in the freezer so I'm guessing you think it's dead. Several of the pros have stated on here that bed bugs put in the freezer can appear dead and then defrost and wake up. I always put any bugs I find in a small cup of alcohol to make sure they're good and dead!

Also, be sure to keep the specimen for proof for any PCO and if you live in an apartment, rent, etc., proof for your landlord.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!

5. sleeplessinme

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 21:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Didn't see your other thread, but have you set up a monitoring system? Both Paul and Lou
    have some good ideas here that you can put together right away.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget
    Also see FAQ's for ClimbUp Interceptors and DIY ClimbUps.
    Also, what about possible local source issues such as work, a vehicle, a neighbor, a visitor, etc.
    And finally, when an expert does come around to ID the bug, the possibility of bat bugs or bird bugs also exists.
    Richard

I believe that I may have gotten the bugs from some former neighbors in my apartment building. They were not good neighbors, and I'll admit that I may have had words with them once or twice during their time around here. When they moved out, they left their couch, rugs, beds, and dressers. At the time, I just assumed that they just couldn't afford a large U-Haul, but now I'm beginning to second guess that. The first bites I got were the same week they moved out. I'm just glad that the infestation, if it actually is a bed bug, seems to be progressing slowly. Perhaps that has something to do with my blood chemistry? I've received chemotherapy in the past few years, so I may very well be poisoning them every time they drink. Isn't that just a laugh?

I've had both bed bug and flea traps set up for about a week now, but I haven't gotten anything in either. I'm beginning to think my construction may be a bit shoddy. I'm still getting one or two bites a night, but as long as I don't scratch them, they go away in a couple days.

At any rate, I've got friends in the field of entomology (mostly exotic research, though), so I'm well aware that some bugs don't stay quite as dead as you'd hope. I froze the bug for the express purpose of showing a PCO, and other than our little photo op, my demi-dead pest is going to stay right where it is, with the promise of a similar fate to any others I happen to see.

Thanks for responding, everyone! I'm anxious to hear an expert's opinion, but it's always good to... I don't know... Be validated, I guess? I thought I might have been going crazy for a while there.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 4:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure the bug is frozen and dead now. It looks like a male cimicid, but unfortunately not in focus in all places. Save this one. What happened to the furniture your neighbors left?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. sleeplessinme

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 17:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The landlord had their furniture hauled away to the dump. New people moved in a week or two after I began getting bites. It's possible that I got them from my lovely customer service job, which deals with both money handling and direct contact with numerous people. I just find it a little suspect that they suddenly moved out and left most of their more expensive, infamous-for-harboring-bed-bugs items behind the same week I get a single bite while I'm sleeping.

Thanks for the confirmation. It really seems as though we've caught it early, so hopefully that will make this whole process easier.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69